Thread: [WIP]PoisonIsland

Wip [WIP]PoisonIsland

The new map I am trying(my second map ever). I called it Poison Island, it does contain a lot of death
    Please comment and help me improve it.
    I still have to add a river, at least, but I can't decide on the position and coloring....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	poisonisland.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	305.7 KB 
ID:	26413  

So is this meant to be a map drawn on a slice of stone? Not really clear what you are trying to achieve.

The lighting and colours have a sininister feel. Personally I would darken and contrast the background to make the map pop.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ask and ye shall receive...the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Your island appears to be in a gas cloud so try using some blue mixed in with the green for the water. I get that you want the place to look diseased but still, proper color water will help to delineate land from sea. Once you get that part then you add some touches of green back in later. As for the land, I think you have trees and mountains but I can't really tell...the land is awfully dark and blends in with the black lines so add a layer of white with a blend mode of soft light to lighten things up. Instead of using a heavy chisel bevel try using something sand colored or if it is all rocky use a rocky pattern overlay. As to the river, you have to have some high places for the river to start in and currently you have mountains at the end of the bones. Try putting the mtns in the middle to form the nose and teeth, lakes for the eyes or maybe plains area...then you can make rivers that look like cracks in the skull. Also, you might want to work larger and then shrink things down later. Working larger allows you to put more detail in and when you shrink things that usually refines the edges a bit and makes them nicer. Here's an example of what I mean, it's rough and in my style so it may not be where you want to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	26502  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thank you, these are the kind of constructive comments that I was talking about in my complaint, this will surely help me improve.
    Thank you for your time.