Thread: Uploading Source files - e.g FM8 .fmp files etc?

Question Uploading Source files - e.g FM8 .fmp files etc?

Is there a particular respository on Cartographers' Guild for uploading source files for map graphics? For example, I have a Fractal Mapper 8 project which, whilst not being spectacularly worthy as a work of art, might be of interest to the RPG community. As "source" of a sort, it allows people to fiddle about with it, annotate it - even try to make it more artistic if they have a mind!
    I only ask as the site appears to be geared primarily at "Galleries" and the implication is that graphics file formats are the expectation? I was thinking along the lines of perhaps a general file repository allowing a small thumbnail as the download link for the respective file?

Hi crayons, there's no specific 'repository' as such for source files. You could put it in the mapping elements forum or the map reference forum I suppose. You can upload .zip files so you could put your FM8 file in a zip archive and upload that together with a .jpeg thumbnail in the same post.

It seems to me that source maps are an area that members here might want to think about exploring more. Flat maps are great, but editable maps offer many more possibilities. The one disadvantage is, that the user then needs the software necessary to edit the usually proprietary file format. Nonetheless, making maps in source format moves us a step forward from open gaming content to open source.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    It seems to me that source maps are an area that members here might want to think about exploring more. Flat maps are great, but editable maps offer many more possibilities. The one disadvantage is, that the user then needs the software necessary to edit the usually proprietary file format. Nonetheless, making maps in source format moves us a step forward from open gaming content to open source.
    You're right, I guess. I wouldn't see the "disadvantage" of owning the software as a area to be concerned about. The reverse argument is that users of such tools might be ( or rather, are) searching for just these sorts of open files specifically.
    It does move towards OS content, yes. That could be a problem. In this example, if I were to post this .fmp file I created, someone can/will modify it and maybe want to publish that variant too. Let's say he's added new layers showing shaded areas for potato growth or something??? How many variations on a "theme" would you want in such a repository? The response would be that such a thing would need version control and archival storage but frankly that's just too much. I'd certainly not want to take on that sort of job either. From my perspective, I created a file, I think it's "handy" (that's why I did it!) and other people might find it useful too - so I want somewhere to "publish and forget" it.... as it were. That's a worst case scenario. In fact all that usually happens is it sits and festers somewhere in a repository getting an occasional download from a wider community.
    You may end up with a lot of "one time members" who register just to get the file - unless it sits "outside" the membership boundary?
    Ultimately, I still feel it's a useful file and I'd like to share it, can anyone suggest somewhere to do so, assuming CG is not "interested"
    cheers!