Thread: [WIP] Atlas Map of Middle-earth

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Cirias's Avatar

Wip [WIP] Atlas Map of Middle-earth

I'm still debating whether this is a good idea, but I thought I might make my latest project a WIP here on CG. Basically, I'm aiming for a map of Middle-earth in a satellite/atlas style. I won't say photo-realistic because I'm not that experienced working with textures and blending yet.

Please go easy on me, but your input at various stages would be really valuable. What I have so far is the basic mask for the landmass. I based this on a super-zoomable version of Middle-earth found on imgur here. It's a bit rough, but hopefully it will come together OK.

The only niggles for me are that the Sea of Nurnen and Sea of Rhun are missing because the source map only goes so far east. In the next image, the blank eastern strip will be cut away as I was still deciding whether to add that part in myself. I think I'm going to continue without them because I have limited time and it took me ages to create this first image!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Middle-earth.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	69736
    Last edited by Cirias; 12-18-2014 at 09:48 AM.

looks pretty solid to me. My only criticism is that the river in the middle looks a bit straight for a real river, but that might be middle earth accurate.

Interested to see how this turns out.

That straight river is the Anduin and it's straightness is Middle-earth accurate. Those looking for accurateness in land formations should stay away from Middle-earth.

Bit of a break for Christmas, but here's an update! Working on the mountains and the correct terrain colouring - Mordor was very enjoyable

Name:	Middle-earth2.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	69902

Guild Artisan

You should read that : http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...t=1332&page=43

Last image is that : http://i1.minus.com/ibaCJkTOMaxFEc.jpg

There have been little news lately so I don't know if the project is dead or merely sleeping.

Blog Entries

Hey Cirias - nice map that's looking good.
    Deadshade - ours is not dead but just "resting". Its the Norwegian Blue of middle earth maps. We dont have any immediate plans to push it onwards. Might see where outerra goes so we can provide more data set for it - esp if they support lakes. We did have someone turn it into a minecraft map - not sure what happened to that but I guess thats out there somewhere too.

Hopefully this is not considered thread necromancy, but I have some updates to share!

I worked on the textures some more, finally gave the sea some colour and less bumpiness.

Name:	Middle-earth3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	74471

The next image is as far as I have come as of now. I have added forests in all the right places, then a drop shadow and also some shadow around the mountains.

Name:	Middle-earth4.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	74472

It's coming along quite well. There will need to be a big re-texture once I have all the main elements in place and I will do a lot of manual terrain painting to get the colours right. I'm not going to go too in-depth with map labels. I think I will add region names and labels for the main cities/locations.

Blog Entries

looks nice
    i still have to add labels to mine

i went the 3d rendering route ( Blender Game Engine )
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post272458

with names and locations i too was thinking of just the MAJOR places of interest
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by johnvanvliet View Post
    looks nice
    i still have to add labels to mine

i went the 3d rendering route ( Blender Game Engine )
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post272458

with names and locations i too was thinking of just the MAJOR places of interest
    Nice one! Looking great so far. I think your mountains are superior to mine!