Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** July 2010 Challenge - A Convergence of Power ***

Blog Entries

Default *** July 2010 Challenge - A Convergence of Power ***

July 2010's challenge is brought to us by our own Wordman and the good folk at Indie Press Revolution and involves a prize to the winner of a
    two hundred dollar gift certificate to IPR!

Many cultures in history believed that the land contains networks of energy that travel along particular paths, sometimes called "ley lines" or "dragon lines". Usually, there are thought to be key "nexus points" of particularly strong energy within the network of paths. Consequently, such paths are sometimes features of fiction and role-playing games.

This month's challenge assumes a world (fantasy, modern, sci-fi, whatever) where such lines not only exist, but where these "nexus points" form places of power that can be tapped, controlled and harnessed by constructing a "locus" over, in or around them. In this month's challenge, you will map such a locus.

No, not that kind of Locus.

A "locus" is a building (or series of buildings) specifically built to route and focus the energy of the site into a central point, sometimes called the "omphalos". But not just any building can be a locus. To work, the geometry of the construction needs to work with the type of energy found site, as well as its natural geography. In particular, each locus must be made with some restrictions in mind:

1) No locus harnesses "pure" energy. Every locus has a, for lack of a better word, a "flavor" of energy, based on type of terrain in which it is constructed. A locus built on a volcanic site, for example, might focus "fire" energy. One built on a swamp might harness "decay". One in a forest could gather "life" energy, while one built on high cliffs might collect the power of the "wind" or, perhaps, the "sun". You need to choose a flavor for your locus, and how it is influenced by the surrounding terrain. Maybe you show this terrain in your map, maybe you don't.

2) The locus is more stable if its architecture matches its flavor. For example, a stone locus might feature strong, angular walls, while an air locus might have lofty, vaulted ceilings.

3) Every locus has a room built specifically to be the omphalos, the centerpoint into which all the energy is focused. This room might also be something else (e.g. throne room, prison, factory) but it doesn't have to be. Its primary purpose is to collect the energy. What is done with it? How is it used or stored?

4) Some loci are more powerful than others. The stronger the locus, the more rooms of the building need to be specifically dedicated to directing and harnessing energy. Most need between three and six such rooms. The most powerful loci might need up to ten. A weaker locus would only need one or two. How many rooms does your locus need? How do these rooms fit into your map? How do they direct energy to the omphalos? Are the rooms also used for something else?

5) The stronger the locus is, the more likely it is to be an important center of some kind. As a result, a locus (particularly a powerful one) often has many additional rooms, or even buildings, that don't add to the geomancy of the site, but rather serve those who maintain it. Cities sometimes grow around the most powerful loci. Often, strong sites takes on a function of their own (e.g. political center, cultural center, fortress, monastery, etc.). Weaker sites sometimes avoid this fate, becoming abandoned and forgotten by their builders. Is your locus populated? Does it serve another purpose? Who is allowed there? Who knows of its existence?

Wordman is asking for no claim on entrants or the winning entry, so licensing is up to you.

=================
    LEGAL MUMBO JUMBO
    =================
    Any member of the Cartographer's Guild is eligible to enter the monthly challenge.
    No update to an entry will be permitted once the threads are locked for voting. Moderators will inform members of the impending lock down whenever someone remembers, which is somewhat iffy.
    Challenge will usually be locked down about five days prior to the end of the month, with a new challenge being posted sometime between then and the beginning of the next month.
    All are encouraged to enter the monthly challenge. Only one (or maybe two) win the challenge each time, but everyone who enters learns something about their craft and makes the event more fun for all involved.
    A stitch in time saves nine.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This sounds incredibly interesting, I can't wait to see what folks come up with!

I tlike the level of specificity associated with this challenge and how open-ended it is at the same time.... digging it!
    Something witty and pithy

I am intrigued by the idea, but I'm wondering - is there supposed to be a focus on the interior or the exterior? Or, is this left up to our own discretion? (Or should we do both?)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm building a giant cheese nexus. In my world ley lines are covered in batter and deep fried
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'm building a giant cheese nexus. In my world ley lines are covered in batter and deep fried
    mmmmmmm....fried cheese!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Iapetus View Post
    I am intrigued by the idea, but I'm wondering - is there supposed to be a focus on the interior or the exterior? Or, is this left up to our own discretion?
    Left up to you.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

There are already some ideas in the mapping center of my brain.

Well I am a total newbie at mapping, but I think that I may have to try out this competition. My campaign world is heavily influenced by ley lines, so I get a double dip out of this: a competition entry and a new feature for my game!

Same here, though I'm working on a new setting intended for publication and ley lines used in a Celtic setting is almost cliche, still its a good fit, so I'll work on one more for my uses than for the challenge itself. Good luck on everyone else's ideas.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast