Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World of "Tire d'aile" and "Taurus51" , 1st real commission

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Default World of "Tire d'aile" and "Taurus51" , 1st real commission

Hi,
    I'm happy to confess that i've been commissioned to realize 2 maps for novels.
    µObviously, they had to be B/W and clear and simple to read. The result is, I think, actually quite nice. They are some little things I wouldn't do the same again but I believe it is all about experience, isn't it?
    I know it is not perfect you guys can have pretty sharp eyes, so feel free to comment and give your feedback.
    what do you reckon?

Novels are both french:
    Tire D'aile from P.Tessier, a well known author who has also created the rpg names Polaris.
    Another novel from N.Cluzeau, an author who has writen a dozen of books so far.
    The maps do have copyrights and can not be used for commercial purposes, of course.
    They will be edited by Black Book Editions

Since I found the inspiration/ help/ ressources on this forum, I really wanted to share the experience with you guys. This map is mine but also a little bit of yours
    I'm also glad that the feedback is good and I've got already some other maps to do

Cheers
    Fred
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Taurus51.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	27635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tire-daile-28072010-v3.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	870.2 KB 
ID:	27636  
    Last edited by Dain; 08-01-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

They looks pretty darn nice to me, excellent job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Those are great! for what it's worth, i can't find any constructive criticisms to make - you're right to be proud of them!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Congratz and well done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks guys, you're too kind

When I said I wouldn't do some little things the same again, I meant about the poor variety of the brushes used.
    On the one hand, I believe it's important not to vary too much the brushes as it makes the whole illustration more consistent and homogeneous. But on the other hand, have some extra nice looking brush, used only once or twice, brings some more punch and personality to the map.
    Here, I'm talking about craters, volcanoes, canyons, high peaks, or simple cliffs and any other kind of terrain aspects that could be different from hills/ mountains. I think the map miss that. A bit

Anyway, this work was very enjoyable and it's good to hear you like it as well
    I just need now to push it a little bit further to be fully happy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You're absolutely right about the "specials" that go scattered around here and there. An extra tall mountain here, volcano there, etc. but now you know and I never noticed in the first place I imagine that the next one will be quite stunning and even cooler than this.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Beautiful work! Really clear and it's HARD (for me) to do maps in pure black and white (rather than greyscale), you can't hide behind pretty colours and effects, the map really has to stand up, and yours does that really well. Only one small comment, one of your mountain symbols (the one that tilts towards the right) seems to stand out in the repeats, but it's a very small thing.

I really love the style! Very well done, Dain, have some rep.
    I like the left one better. Too bad the novels are in french.

Hope to see more of your works in the future.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Blog Entries

My only crit is that I think theres a lot of accents missing. I know sejours has a mark over the e and cites I think too. Have you had a french reader look at the text ? Otherwise I see no faults at all they are just great.

I'm actually french
    Accents are only mandatory when lowercase letters are used, not for Capital ones. So "SEJOUR" is correct as well as "séjour"
    But I do admit I didn't make sure every accent was on. I'll have a closer look but I believe I should be fine about this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast