Thread: Test Map and question

Wip Test Map and question

Here is a map of nowhere in particular that I made using techniques I just learned from this forum. I'm reasonably happy with it as a start. I used GIMP and used Wilbur to add the rivers. I'm not satisfied with a couple of things:

1) If I look at a real map, the mountain ranges are often wrinkled - more-or-less parallel tight folds. I'm going to continue to experiment until I figure out how to achieve that effect.

2) I'm not pleased with the GIMP solid noise rendering. It exhibits linear artifacts and a regularity to the lumpiness that I find detrimental. I spent a lot of time on this map blending together layers of solid noise to try and reduce those artifacts. Does anyone know of a better cloud filter? Or a better way to use GIMP's to minimize its shortcomings?

Thanks for any comments,
    Hugh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TstOK.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	33516  

Find the Felimage plug in for GIMP. It does much better noise creation than the stock one.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hi Hugh, if you want to get proper shaded relief mountains, then your best bet is to either use some sort of DEM software (Wilbur should do it?) or shade it yourself - which requires artistic and geographical talent beyond most of us. Otherwise it's a fudge, I'm afraid.

Thanks! I just tried felimage and I'm really pleased. It's going to make new maps much easier.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like a great start have some rep.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Looks like a great start have some rep.
    What he said.