Thread: Fantasy continent map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fantasy continent map

Greetings and thanks for your help.

Rough description

I'm currently working on a (kind of) Forum-based Role Playing Game. I have made a rough map of the main continent with Paint. Yes, I'm insane.

There was no problem using this map from times to times, but now that I am developing a website-forum for my game, the map will be essential (I'll make it interactive, and it will be used to choose travel paths, every time you move). That is why I need a saviour (I tried to follow some tutorials, but even if I was good at this - and I am not, it would require a lot of time, I don't underestimate your great job, see).

I don't think that my rough map could be edited. It's also a bad map : it looks unnatural, so the map maker can do what he/she wants with the borderlines and everything as long as the general shape of the territories looks the same.

It's in french and this is another problem. I can translate everything if you want, or I'd be more than happy if you make a map without the names.

Required information

1. Time Contraints :

Well, there's no real limit, I'd say I'll really need it in at least one or two months (or three, or four ... it depends on you).

2. Style :

It's a continent map. I don't have any idea about the required style. The Role Playing Game is based on a fantasy environment, so the only style I would not want is Atlas style.

I read a lot, and checked a lot of threads, and every style, starting with the simplest, looks great to me.

3. Quality & Size :

Required for web (the initial rough map is really ugly and has a bad quality)
      I'd like the size to be approximately the same as the rough map.

4. Copyright :

I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

I hope what I said was enough but I don't think it is, so I will answer to all your questions very quickly. I don't want to waste your time. If anything looks wrong, tell me or just forget about me.

Again, thanks for your help,

Faradn

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

As you're looking to make money using this I'd suggest offering some payment, even if it's not much. You can always discuss rates directly with people who are interested. It sounds like you are pursuing an interesting idea with the forum game. Do you have a link to the site? I know I don't have the time to take this project on, but the game might be enough to spark some interest and get you a cartographer.

I'll make that case in point--if there were a small payment involved, I'd jump on board. Sadly my day-job doesn't leave too much time for unpaid projects.

Well, I don't know if I'm going to make money with that, but the since the beginning (three years ago) it has always been a hobby.

I just chose this copyright because I might put some ads on the "forum" (won't really be one) one day, so this wouldn't be honest.

/!\ It's all in french.

My first forum (let's call it the alpha forum) is there.

Last year I worked on a test forum with a friend, here.

I plan developing the official website now, starting from the map (which would be the way to move and travel from locations topics to other location topics).

Everything's quite complicated, because I wished to make a map for the continent and maps for regions and cities. That would cost much more if I paid everything and it should be the same cartographist that does everything so that I can build a whole interactive map with everything.

Since tutorials here are the best of the whole Internet and that I now have a tablet, I think I'm gonna try to do this myself. I'm sorry I don't make my mind about everything, but I don't really have a whole, precise view of my future website and I don't have much time to think about it those days since they need me a lot at work.

Sorry for the inconvenience, tips and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for answers,

Faradn

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I think you'll find this path more rewarding in the end. Post up a WIP thread so that we can see your progress and answer any questions you may have