Thread: The Northeastern Peninsula of Droaam (for Magrathean) - my first overland map

Default The Northeastern Peninsula of Droaam (for Magrathean) - my first overland map

Well, I'd been wanting to give overland/regional mapping a shot, as I've only tried encounter-scale maps up until now. I was bored at work, saw Magrathean's post in the map request form and thought I would give it a shot. Like the title says, this was my very first attempt at regional mapping. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about what I don't know how to do, so that's something.

This was based on Magrathean's rough sketch. I know some of the rivers defy gravity a bit, but I wanted to stay as true as possible to his sketch (and this IS a D&D world after all, so maybe a wizard did it). The rest of the flaws/errors (I'm sure they are legion) are entirely my doing.

The map is broken up by several different kingdoms: blue is human, aqua is halfling, green is elven, brown is dwarven, purple is tiefling and red is dragonborn. Magrathean was really helpful with providing names and infinitely patient when I kept misspelling the draconic cities again and again. Anyway, you can take a look at the WIP forum right here if you're so inclined.

Special thanks to Tilt, Diamond, and Steel general for helpful advice, and another thanks to Tilt for the compass rose resource.

If anyone wants me to post any of the textures I used, I'd be happy to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapForMagrathean - Northeastern Droaam (no label).jpg 
Views:	1620 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	26430  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 07-06-2010 at 01:07 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good job with that RE, can't rep you though... have to spread the loooove...
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Mate, i can't thank you enough. It's a beautiful map. Is it okay if i come to you for any future requests now that i have seen some of the best cartography around and know where to find it?

Great comic strip, too. Made me laugh.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Colorful, vivid, and very unique. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Tilt - Hey, no sweat, you already repped me on the WIP thread! Thanks again for making those compass resources available. Really helpful (in fact, I think I'll rep you).

Ascension - Thanks a lot, my friend. It always means a lot to me when praise comes from people who's skill obviously exceeds my own! Actually, I think I need to read your atlas style tutorial before I try another regional map.

Magrathean - Glad to help, it was really fun. You can always send me a pm to ask! I have been trying to do more paid projects when I can, so perhaps a little per diem would make me more enthusiastic about new projects in the future.
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 06-29-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Have some rep. I don't care for the fonts -- I prefer something oriented a bit more towards readability -- but otherwise it's a fine example of that style. And you made someone who needed a map happy, and that's always a good thing. Well, unless he needs the map to launch a genocidal war on a neighboring country or something, but that's not a worry with fantasy mapping.

You never know, rdanhenry, you never know. *gets missiles ready*

Nice map, I like your mountains, something I still fight with and have yet to come up with a happy solution to. For me the fonts seem a big huge and fancy but that pretty much depends on whoever has to look at the map day in and day out. Still, it's a very pretty map, good job!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

rdanhenry - you're right, I regret the big flowery fonts. I need to find a nice font that is legible, not too modern, and looks appropriate on a fantasy map. If you have any recommendations, I'd be eager to hear them.

Jaxilon - I took my tips from rpgmapmaker's tutorial over here, which produces a decent, and pretty customizable effect. I would like to learn a style that is a little less automated and a little more stylized, though. I agree about the fonts--if you know if any good, free, appropriate fonts, I'd welcome the recommendation.

This is your first regional map? I almost don't believe you due to how beautiful this map is (I don't think you are a liar, just obviously very talented). Fantastic job and I love the coloring. This is the kind of work I hope to be able to make someday.