Thread: World map for Deadclock7 -- from the mapping request forum

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map World map for Deadclock7 -- from the mapping request forum

Still trying to learn the ropes of larger scale mapping, I decided to pick another mapping request that didn't seem to have any bites on it yet and pop out another quickie. This one was for Deadclock7. It was actually a world-scale map (I think) and sadly, I have the scale all wrong... the textures, particularly the forests, are way too big... unless this planet is half the size of the moon or something. But considering I turned it out in about fifteen minutes, I guess I'm not too unhappy with it. Anyway, I tried to stay as true as possible to the original map (which may have been a mistake, as it was done in MS paint) so please forgive the unlikely landform shapes.

You can see the original request along with Deadclock7's .bmp rough sketch over here.

To further experiment, I also wrapped the map around a sphere, stuck it on a star background, and made an animated .gif of it as a rotating planet. That bit took another 20 minutes (though if I can figure out how to automate more efficiently, I think I could cut that down to about a minute next time). The original map didn't account for this kind of warping, and I neglected to adjust for it myself, so it looks more than a little distorted--another lesson learned for next time. I don't think animated .gifs will generate functioning thumbnails here, so you might have to click it to open it.

Speacial thanks to OldGuy Gamer for his 'creating realistic coastlines' tutorial--it has become a standard tool in my arsenal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map Project.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	26481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotating-world.gif 
Views:	7563 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	26480  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 06-30-2010 at 01:09 PM.