Thread: World map for Deadclock7 -- from the mapping request forum

Map World map for Deadclock7 -- from the mapping request forum

Still trying to learn the ropes of larger scale mapping, I decided to pick another mapping request that didn't seem to have any bites on it yet and pop out another quickie. This one was for Deadclock7. It was actually a world-scale map (I think) and sadly, I have the scale all wrong... the textures, particularly the forests, are way too big... unless this planet is half the size of the moon or something. But considering I turned it out in about fifteen minutes, I guess I'm not too unhappy with it. Anyway, I tried to stay as true as possible to the original map (which may have been a mistake, as it was done in MS paint) so please forgive the unlikely landform shapes.

You can see the original request along with Deadclock7's .bmp rough sketch over here.

To further experiment, I also wrapped the map around a sphere, stuck it on a star background, and made an animated .gif of it as a rotating planet. That bit took another 20 minutes (though if I can figure out how to automate more efficiently, I think I could cut that down to about a minute next time). The original map didn't account for this kind of warping, and I neglected to adjust for it myself, so it looks more than a little distorted--another lesson learned for next time. I don't think animated .gifs will generate functioning thumbnails here, so you might have to click it to open it.

Speacial thanks to OldGuy Gamer for his 'creating realistic coastlines' tutorial--it has become a standard tool in my arsenal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map Project.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	3.98 MB 
ID:	26481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotating-world.gif 
Views:	7563 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	26480  
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 06-30-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Thx for the help, decided to download gimp today. So ill ave better work than microsft paint. Your my hero in cartography now, so ill mention you in all my maps. Im gona contiue, cant spell, this map. But if you dont6 want me to use it then just give me the word on my profile page.