Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haven of the Bitter Glass Map Attempt

Wip Haven of the Bitter Glass Map Attempt

Hello all,
    Just wanted to post my first attempts at creating encounter maps. These are recreations of the maps which appear in the Dungeon magazine adventure "Haven of the Bitter Glass". If you would like to have a model of comparison, the WotC version of these maps can be found on there website from Dungeon Issue 164. I would link the map gallery for the issue, but it requires a D&D Insider subscription. The fortress is a large Githzerai fortress built into recessed cavern in a cliff face. The second map is of a rock trap on the cliff overhead. The encounter takes place as the sun sets, and I tried to simulate that with the lighting effects. These maps aren't perfect, but I feel comfortable with them as my first real attempt. They were created using Photoshop and images from the CSUAC and other resources found on the MapTools RPTools Tutorials site. Please C&C.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Githzerai Fortress final with lighting.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	26491

These are for use in my regular campaign and were created with MapTool in mind. They are at 100 ppi. The images are quite large unfortunately.

Thank you all so much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Githzerai Fortress cliff final with lighting.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	786.2 KB 
ID:	26496  
    Last edited by ravells; 06-30-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Hmmm, it appears one of my attachments is doing something strange and displaying at full size, but I am not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Thank you ravells! I too am a bit stumped. That's strange behavior for an attachment.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

We have been having problems with attachments lately - I believe it is related to a glitch in the latest version of the board software.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Scenes, resave it then reupload it. That's what I do.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking really good very nice textures... they could use some more depth though I'd like to see some shadows and it looks to me that the ship is huge in comparision with the fortress.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Going by the original map, the ship is supposed to be even bigger, but I scaled it down some. Its the Githyanki warship Tyranny. They rammed it into the building, attempting to breach the walls.

I too would like to add depth, but I think it needs somethin more than just a Layer Style of drop shadow. Are there any particular techniques you could recommend or resources you may point me towards? Shadowing and depth is something I am not well versed in, but I definitely want to learn more!

Also, to ask some more pointed questions of the Guild community, if you look at the ramp on the fortress, I had trouble getting it to blend naturally with the stone textures of the temple base. Any recommendations on how to build a good ramp? I probably went about it the hard way: I a deleted a 2X2 square section from the temple base for the ramp, then copied a 2X2 section of another part of the temple. Dragging it to the ramp area, I applied the same layer style (and tweaked to taste) and then used Transform tool (skew maybe?) to get the tapered look. But the section where the ramp met the base looked ridiculous, so I swiped a 1X2 section of the temple and placed a cap on top and used the smudge tool to blend the edges. It looks alright, but I think the results could have been better.

I was following Ascension advice- experiment!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ok.. the scale of the ship just doesn't say HUGE warship to me...
    So is this sort of what you're looking for?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scenesfrom-bitterhaven.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	26513
    if you want it I can mail you the PSD file where I tested, but I'll tell you what I did. First off - I removed the bevel on the ramp by painting over with the stamp tool. Then I removed the bevel on the fortress wall - A wall that size won't have a bevel and the fact that it had ruined your ramps look of height. Then I added shadows for the buildings in seperate layers, with special care to the shadow on the ramp to show the difference in height
    Hope you can use it
    Lastly - have some rep for your nice uploads

EDIT: the shadow on the higher building just stops.. thats because its just a test so I didn't finish the job
    Last edited by tilt; 07-01-2010 at 08:51 AM.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast