Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first map

Map My first map

This is my first map(ever).
    I have tried to follow some tutorials(ZombieNirvana mainly) and add some of my own contributions to it(drawing...).
    I have named it Rogue's Wilderness, don't ask me why
    Please comment...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rogue's Wilderness.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	910.7 KB 
ID:	26332  

Cool, man!

What all programs did you use?

Is this for a RPG?

If you need a labyrinth map, I can help you out there.

EDIT: Also, check spelling on labyrinth on your map.

Thanks.
    I used Photoshop CS4.
    I didn't really think what it's for, maybe after I enhance it a bit I will give it some use.
    My labyrinth is fine for now, it's not very good, but you can hardly see it anyway...., thanks for the offer.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

congrats on your first map, and have some rep for your first upload
    critique:
    the mountains get a little overlapped dark in the middle
    the river should go out past the map edge so they don't look like they are ending
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thank you.
    yeah, the mountains get a little dark there, I should fix that. About the river, the problem is that I edited the background layer, but the unedited version didn't have a legend and the background was white, therefore the map ended where the river ends, the paper is washed like, burned, torned....I think I will go back to the no-legend, white background version(I will upload that shortly), and fix the mountains.
    Any other things you think need fixing?

Here is a new version of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WickedMap.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	923.8 KB 
ID:	26354  

Blog Entries

Pretty good map. I would say if you want to have a border make a true border. Right now it is partially opaque and I think that's what makes it look like the river is just ending rather than the map ending. The next few are more just preferences. Maybe smaller "cobbles" in the road. The paper edge seems too rough, the tiny little jaggies feel like too much. The blood spatter needs to be toned down, it looks more like wax or paint. But you have a nice adventure map here and something that I would have enjoyed gaming with.

Okay, you asked for comments in another thread, and here I go.

I like the map. It conveys what it needs to convey, but for me, it breaks my number one rule: No Scale. I am old school to the extreme and a map to me without a form of scale of some sort is next t useless. How far is it from the Cabin (town? Village?) to the grave (tomb? Graveyard?) or the Labyrinth. The first map was good in that it had a legend, but without a scale or some other means to convey Distance & Direction, a reader of the map would have a hard time discerning which way and for how long to get somewhere.

Other than that, the use of symbols, textures and colors seem fine to me.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've allready had some constructive critique for this, but here goes round 2
    I agree with the scale/compass missing you should add those, talking about scale I would also scale down the pattern on the road (3) it's a bit overwhelming. I wouldn't fade out the pictures as they near the edge of the paper. On a real map the mapper would stop before getting to the edge of the paper - if it is only a ripped out part of a bigger map the elements would go all the way to the edge but wouldn't fade out. The rippling (photoshop ripple effect) on the map edges are a bit to much I'd smooth some of those out as a paper wouldn't be that rippled.
    I hope this helped you
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

For good bloodstains, try pink set to… I think it's Color Dodge, but it might be Color Burn. Photoshop's blend modes don't always have useful names. Anyway, one of those two will make a nice dark red bloodstain that still lets the information beneath show through and look nicer than if you were to simply reduce the opacity.

Try constructing buildings using the Pen tool instead of trying to freehand them. When you're drawing on paper, you have the benefit of a ruler, but on the computer that's harder to manage. There are tools available to help you compensate. The Pen Tool, though, will make a work path, which must then be stroked in order to get real lines. You can save a work path with the Paths palette, but if you forget, the next time you use the Pen, the previous path will disappear. You could also probably use the Line Shape tool, but I don't care for it as much for a complex shape like that building. Requires too many clicks.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast