Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Stables WIP

Default The Stables WIP

Continuing my silly project, I'm working on the town stables. I wanted this to look a lot more worn down and used, hence the torn up floorboards.

Just added the horse poop, and I quite like it (I'd be a rubbish interior decorator). I could use some advice about what to stack on those tables by the entrance though--I've only ever even ridden a horse once, so I dunno who kind of tools/supplies a small town's stables would have laying around...

As always, criticism and advice are welcome.
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 06-30-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

now I'm no expert on horses and stables.. but I'll give some input anyhoot
    no floorboards - the horses walk on dirt, save the floorboards for the people area
    the corridor is to small to properly get the horses around in there - double that
    the water through should be placed close to the corridor so you can fill it without entering the booth
    there should also be a through for feed
    stuff lying about would be grooming equipment, cast off horse shoes, salves and balms, tack, equipment for mending tack, saddles, sacks or barrels of feed a couple of foot stools to sit on.
    also a dirt path would leed to the stables as no grass can survive a steady stream of horses
    thats it for now
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Tilt - those were all really good points. I'll begin my adjustments shortly!

The floors should be an easy fix. I googled some old stables photos and I see that most of them don't have wooden floors, you're right. I do see some of them have really dusty, dirty brick floors. Maybe that's next. Good call on the water barrels and the size of the center row--would ten feet be a reasonable size for that aisle?

Looks like I have a lot more work to do on this one than I thought....

Blog Entries

I believe 10 feet would be prudent - a horse is a rather large creature... especially the draft horses ... and yes, brick were common too - they were solid enough for horses and made the stables less muddy
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Stables 2.0 up for criticism and advice!
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 06-30-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Blog Entries

the dirt looks a little blurry.. more like fog
    needs soom hooks on the wall with tack on them
    needs a place for feed for the horse (not just water).. .and even though I see where you're comming from with the placement of the water throughs, I'd probably place them all nice and even like a proper place well cared for
    where do you get your elements, do you draw them yourself?
    oh and more shadow on the hey and crates - they are stacked high
    regs tilt

Tilt,

Thanks again. I'll be doing a third draft tonight and I'll address those points. Your advice has been really helpful! Oh, and "tack" just means equipment, right?

I create all me elements myself, though I have a copy of Genetica which I sometimes use to create textures.

Hooks on the stall fence from which a bag of food can be hung. At least one pitchfork for distributing hay and one shovel for cleaning up manure. Hooks on the walls with harness hanging from them. Saddle blankets, saddle bags. Rope. Tools likely to be found in a stable: hoof knives, small hammers and nails for horseshoes, large brushes for currying, leatherworking tools—awls, big needles, spools of sinew, very large shears, knives, jars of oil. A large barrel full of feed; the horses probably graze for much of their diet, but they'll likely get a spadeful of oats on a regular basis. A spade. This appears to be a riding stable—no indication of a wagon or plow, so probably sugar or a small barrel of apples; people like to pamper their riding horses.

I think there would probably be stools near the worktables, also. Most of the grooms' time would be spent there rather than near the stalls. I am assuming that you've left off gates on the stalls and entrances in order to accommodate VTT users?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sounds like you've had horses there Mid. You covered just about everything - well everything that I can think of - even that just about everything hangs on a peg or hook. The one thing about the barrel of oats - it's very common but it also attracts a lot of rats to it so maybe have a cat or two lurking around.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Brilliant! These are exactly the kinds of advice that I've come to know and love about CG.

Tilt - you were totally right about the 'foggy' dirt. I got caught over-using the cloud filter. Already addressed that, and now moving onto the rest of the goodies.

Midgardsormr - Thank you so much for such a comprehensive list. I think i can include just about all of that stuff. I do need to figure out how to slap hooks on the wall--I have been putting it off, as I assume it will be tricky from an overhead perspective. I make all these objects from scratch, and hooks are exactly the kind of tricky perspective problem that I get 'hung up on' so to speak (Aaaah, see what I did there?!) Anyhow, I'll probably remove that table on the left and replace it with a row of hooks. And yep, I am leaving the doors off the map for VTT reasons, and I plan to make little foldable stand-up paper doors for use with this (and the rest of this series) for people who will actually print it out. Now I'm considering making a plow/cart to park outside, as if I didn't already have enough to add.

Ascension - thanks for the extra info! I'm going to write a sample DM-description paragraph for each of these, and little details like rats and cats are exactly the kind of details that make descriptions pop--I'll be sure to include it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast