Thread: New member here, saying hello

Post New member here, saying hello

For starters, hello other members of the CG forums!

I'm relatively new to the cartography artist scene. I've always held a passion for beautiful maps, something about them inspires the imagination on a grand scale. As a small child I used to flip through the atlas in my parents mini-van during long family trips, picturing the places the maps only hinted at. Then my friends introduced me to RPGs and Tactical Miniatures games in junior high school and I've dabbled in map-making ever since. I even used to make maps for our gaming sessions using Windows Paint!

Now I am older and my tastes have naturally matured from those blocky scrawls I first produced. I've just started to scratch the surface of this rewarding past-time (though for some I know it is more a profession, how I envy you) and barely gotten my feet wet using Paint.net as my first truly capable graphics software. I'm looking at learning Gimp next for the added capability, and have already started producing what are, in my opinion, some decent battlemaps using Paint.net for my friends' weekly gaming sessions.

I'm looking forward to learning more about cartography from the CG membership and I've already drawn a great deal of inspiration from the work of many of the artists here. I hope to be able to contribute my own work very soon!

-WBHero

Welcome to the guild, Wannabehero!
    Skim through the tutorial section, there are many Gimp tutorials. When you have started a map you can show it in the work-in-progress (WIP) section to get some critique and new ideas. When you have any questions about Gimp you can post in the How-Do-I section.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi WBHero - welcome to the guild
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wow! You guys are quick at greeting newbies! Thank you very much for the kind welcomes, especially with all the other goodies you could be looking at on this site. I'm looking forward to my experiences here.

Blog Entries

Add one more then ! Welcome hero. Yeah we do our best to post a few welcomes to the guild. I certainly like to read them and get a little background from people especially if they have something unusual in it. You see you have sketchup in that software list.... nice.. nice... lets see a bit hmmm ?

Blog Entries

Glad to have you in the Guild WBH! You sound like our kind of people.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Welcome to the Guild!!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave