Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linlandia using Gidde's Hand Dawn tutorial

Blog Entries

Yes there is a legend in progress. As with most of my workflow, this small element has turned into a major project of its own. I also still need to try a fix or two on the roads and the labels.

Great looking map. I'm planning on giving that tut a shot myself. Any hiccups you might want to share? I love that style though and really want to get my maps into it.
    Sláinte

"'Round the world and back again, that's the sailor's way!"
    Willie Wonka
    Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

http://warforsouthernindependence.blogspot.com/
    My blog exploring some unpopular truths about the war that defines our nation.

Ah, the hexagonal tiles explain the odd city placement. I have to second what Diamond said, the diamond (hah!) grid layout doesn't seem to fit a country named the Horde. Other than that, it looks great!

Blog Entries

@Ilvarin - No I don't recall any hiccups, the tutorial seems to work out of the box. What I have noticed about applying the "ink bleed" technique is that it may be hard to see at large pixel sizes/resolution but I haven't exactly figured out why this is so. I've tried it on some non map projects that are 3300 x 2550 at 300ppi and it doesn't quite look the same. Perhaps just need to enlarge the blur and spread so it can be seen.

@Seretur - I think it also just requires a little more imagination. The original had no roads what so ever, so I just threw something together to complete the road step. Also Horde may be inappropriate, again it was the first thing that came to mind. These are from notes made sometime around 1992 that I only unearthed a few weeks ago and all I had to go on was the term Nar - Gragthang in reference to the "Horde".

Blog Entries

Well here is the "fixed" version. I ended up using RobA's dsiplace map method, but the plasma was at 3.5 and the displace was only one or two pixels anything more and it got super distorted. The major changes are: Roads, outer glow added to text in GIMP. Then I added the checkered border and woodcut detail. I'm hoping that this meets with general approval, I then have to get cracking on the legend

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linland redone.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	27285

Oh yeah, I also had to fudge with the image size to get even spacing to fit my woodcuts. I think that this should not have taken me 11 days, perhaps I need to clock in to see how much time I actually spent mapping versus farting around.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Much better roads in the Horde lands now. I like this map quite a bit, dude. Kudos to you.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

This is pretty darn fine! I kept looking over it for constrictive criticism to offer, and it was hard. the only thing I can find to comment on is that the outer glow looks a little odd to me since it's lighter than the background colours of the paper itself. I try to set it up so the space around the text matches the background exactly - not easy to do when using mottled textures, i know. The way i found around it in photoshop is to put everything between the paper layers and the text into their own group and mask the areas around the text.. not sure how that would work in gimp though. I know it can do masking, but I don't know about masking multiple layers at once, unless you'd have to merge the layers and do it that way.

But really, it's a tiny point, and I had to work hard to find it This is a map to be proud of!
    [edit]
    well i really should read more before posting, I see there's been issues with the text already, heh. feel free to disregard my comments above if you like, I see you've been having to fight a bit of a battle to get things where they are...
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 07-21-2010 at 08:25 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I'd suggest you maybe try setting the text layer to another blend mode. I'd be thinking that maybe multiply might work well... also if you drop the brightness and contrast in combination you should get less of the "glow brighter than paper" effect you currently have.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Blog Entries

Doh! I forgot the brightness and contrast suggestion. Here it is with the feature and Country label glows set to hard light and the town label glow set to overlay. The opacity of all the glow layers is the default 75%. Multiply makes the glow too dark for my tastes. In the future I will probably sub divide the text layers by font size as I think that is also part of the problem, striking a balance that is legible for all sizes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linland re text.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	27309

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Exactly, the same glow doesn't work the same at all font sizes. Live n learn, eh, but ya learn something new with every map. So that's a good thing and you're learning a lot and putting it to use so good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast