Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cairan WIP Critique!

Default Cairan WIP Critique!

This is just a side project and still have my world project to do, but I was playing with Fractal Terrains, and was messing around with this Tutorial Anyways, I was just developing a continent islandish thingy but needless to say I think the result is coming a long nicely...

Well two "Styles" I would like any input on.... I know the desert needs some work and the forests need better placement, but I was wondering if I should go for the flatter look or have the elevation in there... Let me know!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cairan1.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	3.51 MB 
ID:	25055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cairan1a.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	25056  
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always like the look of elevation - your ocean looks a bit elevated too?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

oops haha yeah Tilt I forgot to "smooth" the ocean elevation in the flatter picture, but I was leaning more towards the elevation map more as well.
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Looks real good man!
    Think you should go for more elevation, like how the close water spread in your map. And yea, elevation of the ocean.

So... I decided to start over, once my brother gave the comment "Hey that looks like Japan" ha and I wouldn't want to rip off mother nature now would I?

Anyways I started over as I said, and decided to take a different approach to it, this is the result so far, let me know what you think!! There really isn't any reason behind where I threw the desert or the forests, it was just for a "example" I guess.

P.s. Base land was done in Fractal Terrains, and all imported into Photoshop for all the effects and color etc

Name:	Cairan2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	25311  
    Projects

messed with the mountains a little, its coming along nicely though, I'm sure there are little things here and there I could fix, if you see any of those things let me know!

Name:	Cairan2a.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	25330  
    Projects

Looking good man. One thing you could try is to make the forest slither to the mountains in some places and maybe break up the forest form a bit overall to make them a less even outlined.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking good Yandor, and you don't have a mountainous ocean this time One thing I think about however is what scale this is. If its a really huge map, I feel perhaps some of the mountain regions are to large and should be broken up more as mountain arises where tectonic plates come together they would exist in "ridges" rather than "plains". If its a "not so huge" map then I feel you lack a little elevation in the middle of the mountain areas
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by pasis View Post
    Looking good man. One thing you could try is to make the forest slither to the mountains in some places and maybe break up the forest form a bit overall to make them a less even outlined.
    Still trying to figure out how to do that with all the layers and things, haven't come up with a decent result.... Thanks for the idea and help!

Quote Originally Posted by tilt
    looking good Yandor, and you don't have a mountainous ocean this time One thing I think about however is what scale this is. If its a really huge map, I feel perhaps some of the mountain regions are to large and should be broken up more as mountain arises where tectonic plates come together they would exist in "ridges" rather than "plains". If its a "not so huge" map then I feel you lack a little elevation in the middle of the mountain areas
    Thanks again for the ocean mountain business, tried my best to fix it this time around, and as for the scale, its on the "not so Big" scale, and still trying to fiddle with the mountains to acutally get a "good" result, but just making due with what I have, thanks though!

So another update, I fixed most of the ocean (more then likely wont be fixing unless something big needs fixing) and filled in most if not all the lakes, and made more planes. Anyways tell me what you think!

I still have tons of work to do on the Mountains and Forests...

Name:	Cairan3.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	25427  
    Projects

Well I tried to make the mountains "Pop" a bit more, and still messing with what type of city placement, and display. Also still messing with the "scale" donno how big I exactly want it to be... But please let me know whats good, bad, or any other ideas too!

Noticed, that the "snow" on the top most mountain needs some work, along with the placement of the forests...

Name:	Cairan4.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	25962  
    Projects

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast