Thread: [Wip]Hunting grounds

Wip [Wip]Hunting grounds

I know I promised to shut up, but I guess posting maps doesn't count, does it?
    Ok ,here it is.
    Any comment is welcome, so please tell me what you don't like.
    I attached two because I can't decide between them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hunting map.jpg 
Views:	874 
Size:	537.0 KB 
ID:	26588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hunting map2.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	602.4 KB 
ID:	26595  
    Last edited by TheSilentOne; 07-03-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I like the one without color better; the color is (a) a little too bright to look natural over the parchment texture and (b) probably shouldn't cover things like the barrel.

The overall design of the area is pretty cool, and I like the use of the maple leaf as the compass. Your tree symbols don't quite "match" the mountains, though; it might help if you gave them an outer stroke.

"Beaver" is misspelled. I like the one without the green better, also. I think you could tone down the texture quite a bit; at the moment it's overpowering the map, making it more about the surface and less about the information. It's particularly problematic considering the fine detail of your blackletter font, which I think might work several points larger as a title for the map, but not so much for the small type.

The bevel on the lake makes it look like it's higher than the land. Probably because the apparent light direction as dictated by the mountains is from the right, and the light direction on the lake appears to be from the bottom. If you move the light on the bevel around to match that on the mountains, it should look correct. Although on this particular map, since it appears to be painted on cloth, the bevel might not be appropriate at all.

I like the concept behind the map—a simple hunter's reference of the sort likely to be possessed by a character in the world. You might put some arrows indicating nearby towns or landmarks—where will I wind up if I continue down the road past the tavern, or off the eastern edge of this map?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

I think that you have a good map here, but I will concur with the others that you need to change the opacity, layer setting (or both) of the water features and forest color (if you choose to keep it). The trees are okay but don't match up with the mountains in particular because they don't have a hard black edge. The mountains have the issue of being transparent, so you can see the lines of the mountains that are behind others in places. I want to say those are Wags brushes, but I don't remember clearly. You could use this tutorial to fix that. Or perhaps we just need to update that set. Keep up the good work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'd say leave off the color but try and find a different tree symbol - one that more closely matches the mountains you've used.

Otherwise I like it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Everything the others said and I'd make the lake look like it was more in perspective so it's consistent with the rest of the map. I much prefer the map without the green (which is too saturated for my taste). Some variation of the tree symbols would be nice too. I don't know what the map is for or whether it's for print but for the sake of aesthetics I'd make the animal prints smaller. If you are going for the montone look, I'd lose the the blue for the water.

Ok guys, thanks a lot, I will have the new map by tomorrow with all the changes.