Thread: WIP Kingdom of Braegor - New style(for me)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP Kingdom of Braegor - New style(for me)

This is a new map that I am working on, and I am trying out some new styles. I started by drawing the map in pencil, then scanning it in. I then broke the map into two layers. One for the coastline, and then one for the mountains/hills. I erased the hills from the coastal view, and the coastline from the mountains.

I then added layers for the background colors, roads, towns and rivers.

I am obviously still working on this, but I wanted to see what others thought of the style. I am going to redo the scale bar so that it can be read, but the distance is supposed to be 20 miles.

So far, I have spent about 6 hours on the map, and before I go much farther I wanted to know if it was worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Braegor copy.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	1305  

The map has a really 'light' sketchy feel to it which I find very pleasing. I like the combination of the mountain symbols and ridgelines - particularly the placement of the latter. I'm not so sure I'm too keen on the green you've used for the land (too oversaturated) for me (I would keep it a very light green as you've done but just desaturate it a tad) and the really big outer glow on the continent, but I guess those are just personal preferences.

This has the potential to be a really great map in that because of the simplicity of the elements you've used, you should be able to pack in loads of labels without sacrificing clarity.

Ravs

I really like the geographical treatment. It's a good palette and style.

The soft depth transitions in the water aren't wowing me, though. I might try a hard transition, or a stylized "vintage" ocean style, just to see how it looks. (By "vintage" I mean with littoral lines a la Tolkien and perhaps just the lighter blue).

Hey Landorl, bully for you trying something new. Bravo!

I agree with the statements made by the others (especially the soft water lines, which gives the map too airy a feel, and the overaturation of the green.) I would also like to add that the trees being so detailed offsets the rest of the map & seem out of place. I do really like your mountains, and the general sketch feel of this, though. Nice job, keep going with it!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I didn't like the feel of the woodlands that much either, so I will try to find something a little different to use. I will also try to do a little different with the water. I agree that it doesn't quite fit with the style of the rest of the map.

Map

I've done some more work on the mountains, and on the background color as well as the trees. I am a little more pleased with this. I think it is getting there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Braegor New.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	1308