Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP Kingdom of Braegor - New style(for me)

Wip WIP Kingdom of Braegor - New style(for me)

This is a new map that I am working on, and I am trying out some new styles. I started by drawing the map in pencil, then scanning it in. I then broke the map into two layers. One for the coastline, and then one for the mountains/hills. I erased the hills from the coastal view, and the coastline from the mountains.

I then added layers for the background colors, roads, towns and rivers.

I am obviously still working on this, but I wanted to see what others thought of the style. I am going to redo the scale bar so that it can be read, but the distance is supposed to be 20 miles.

So far, I have spent about 6 hours on the map, and before I go much farther I wanted to know if it was worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Braegor copy.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	1305  

The map has a really 'light' sketchy feel to it which I find very pleasing. I like the combination of the mountain symbols and ridgelines - particularly the placement of the latter. I'm not so sure I'm too keen on the green you've used for the land (too oversaturated) for me (I would keep it a very light green as you've done but just desaturate it a tad) and the really big outer glow on the continent, but I guess those are just personal preferences.

This has the potential to be a really great map in that because of the simplicity of the elements you've used, you should be able to pack in loads of labels without sacrificing clarity.

Ravs

I really like the geographical treatment. It's a good palette and style.

The soft depth transitions in the water aren't wowing me, though. I might try a hard transition, or a stylized "vintage" ocean style, just to see how it looks. (By "vintage" I mean with littoral lines a la Tolkien and perhaps just the lighter blue).

Hey Landorl, bully for you trying something new. Bravo!

I agree with the statements made by the others (especially the soft water lines, which gives the map too airy a feel, and the overaturation of the green.) I would also like to add that the trees being so detailed offsets the rest of the map & seem out of place. I do really like your mountains, and the general sketch feel of this, though. Nice job, keep going with it!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I didn't like the feel of the woodlands that much either, so I will try to find something a little different to use. I will also try to do a little different with the water. I agree that it doesn't quite fit with the style of the rest of the map.

Map

I've done some more work on the mountains, and on the background color as well as the trees. I am a little more pleased with this. I think it is getting there.

Name:	Braegor New.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	1308  

Looking great.....I think I've found a work around on the anti-aliasing problem with CC3. You use a method called the Orton Effect . This is normally used in photography to make images look slightly hyper real but a by-product is a controlled blur on the edges. (The Orton Effect is basically a gaussian blur overlaid on top of the sharp image). You will need an image editor like The Gimp to do it. I've had a play and this is what I came up with (I also increased the contrast a bit). It's not better or worse, but just different and adds a subtle depth to maps which might otherwise appear flat. To see the method, click on the link. It also seems to make contrasting colours pop a little more which is always nice.

Ravs

Name:	test orton.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	986.4 KB 
ID:	1309  

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    ... It's not better or worse, but just different and adds a subtle depth to maps which might otherwise appear flat. ...
    I gotta say I disagree: that version is much, much better IMHO. The colors and the details that landorl has so wonderfully crafted are much more clearly visible and attractive. That's my 1.645 cents!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The new version (before ravells) looks a lot less sketchy and more digital, you've done a great job of cleaning it up.

As for ravells changes...I've long known abotu the orton effect, and used a similar process to create softer photos as well as using a blurred high pass layer on overlay or soft light to brign out contrast and sharpen up pictures as well as give them an otherworldy look...The only thing I dont' like about the OP's map though is the pastels...never been a big fan of pastels.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I'm actually doing this in Photoshop and not CC3, though I do use that for some things.

I have not done this yet, but I plan on redoing the water. I will repaint it in slightly more subdued colors, and I hope to end up with a little better effect to more match the rest of the style of the map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast