Thread: Might as well be done

Default Might as well be done

Well, I already had to register here to view the wonderful tutorials available (specifically ones about mountains and initial land generation), so I thought I might as well post my more or less finished work. It's quite cartoony (as is my general art style), and this is really, I suppose, my first attempt at semi-realistic map.

I read up on the river topic and believe it helped me choose locations to place them, however, I'm not sure if I've overlooked anything. I'm not really sure if it's 100% necessary to have a river connected to every lake, I'm sure with enough rainfall or a spring a lake could appear. As such, the ones I've left without rivers are quite small.

It could use some more work, I suppose, but that's probably beyond my current skill level. I'd like to add distinct forests and marshes in the future, for one. I think what I'm least happy with currently is my attempt at a snowy tundra up north. Looks like clouds gone wrong.

Made it with Gimp, and it's about 30 layers or so.

That's a nice start zappa! It might be worth using a texture for the tundra with the snow rather than a cloud overlay. Genetica (the viewer and basic textures are free) has some good ones.

Hm, well this is what I've managed to come up with with 4 new layers and a bump map:

I think it looks a lot better than the first version, at least.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice job - and have some rep for your first upload
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise