Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July Entry - Nexus of Earth

As a "practical" engineery type of person my initial thoughts here were rather unartistic! This might be pedantry but the access routes and the site entrances are offset from each other. One or other of these came first - and the second would have followed/aligned with the first ?? If this were urban then other factors would mess the situation up over time but that isn't the case here...
    It also struck me that the entrances are too wide? If someone puts in the effort to build a wall with that many towers, then....
    I'll lay off now! I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops!
    (Yes, I'm a engineer in the defence industry but I confess that we don't do castles anymore! More's the pity!)
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

LOL

as if the River Police where not enough now we have real live engineers on us....ahhh, I can't take the pressure!!! Where's a bottle of wine...isn't that what most artist's drink? hehe, now we know why.

Actually, thank you for mentioning these things. I always try to file them away for my future projects. It's funny too whenever someone explains one of these things, like rivers, or structural support it always makes perfect sense. Of course, it's not always fun to draw what makes sense.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

As a "practical" engineery type of person my initial thoughts here were rather unartistic! This might be pedantry but the access routes and the site entrances are offset from each other. One or other of these came first - and the second would have followed/aligned with the first ?? If this were urban then other factors would mess the situation up over time but that isn't the case here...
    Just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, it's possible that they could have offset the entrances from the access routes as a defensive measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    LOL
    as if the River Police where not enough now we have real live engineers on us....ahhh, I can't take the pressure!!! Where's a bottle of wine...isn't that what most artist's drink? hehe, now we know why.
    Actually, thank you for mentioning these things. I always try to file them away for my future projects. It's funny too whenever someone explains one of these things, like rivers, or structural support it always makes perfect sense. Of course, it's not always fun to draw what makes sense.
    Well, a little bit of "oppression" helps the artistic flair, on occasion! I think Absinthe is a popular artist's drink - illegal in US but legal in the UK(I think).
    Don't let my engineery viewpoints distract you too much! I'm far more interested in seeing the development of the artistic style! Something that my "style" lacks.... art. You have it aright though, do what is fun.
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

heh, love the discussion here!

Okay, the wall and entrance of the walled area is not so much for defensive purposes as much as for herding and visual obstruction. The "quarry" entrance is from the southwest and then wraps around the temple and spirals down to the temple floor. The wall and turrets are more for visual stimulation and giving gravitas to the area than for defensive bulwarks. The walls are also a visual shield keeping earth power pilgrims from seeing the temple until the very last second. It will be nearly impossible to see the temple until you clear the two entry turrets of the wall.

The paths leading into the area are following the ley lines... I might need to do some stuff with that though.

Thanks for the thoughts though. I hope to have some more work done soon.
    Something witty and pithy

many many things left to do and not much time left to get it done. Stupid real life getting in the way.

things left:
    1. Page tiling and marginalia
    2. ground detail
    3. shrub detail
    4. building detail
    5. an aesthetic over-hall
    6. an elevation of the temple
    7. other stuffs that I don't feel like mentioning because I have too much left

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July 10 Challenge 03.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	27236  

Mmmmmpig, this is just great. It has a really nice 'fantasy map' feel that I really envy. I really hope you finish it!

now the rents are in town, the boy is having a birthday party this weekend, i am chaperoning the rents and the boy to a museum tomorrow.... I have no time folks, no time! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY I AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!!!!

things left:
    1. Page tiling and marginalia
    2. an elevation of the temple
    3. some aesthetic stuff to really punch this thing up
    4. win
    5. win? eh maybe, there is some tough stuff this challenge

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	July 10 Challenge 04.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	27286  

So the rents are still in town, and the boy's birthday party starts up tomorrow, and then it is time at a state park for a few days. so the midnight oil is a-burning... so I am still under the gun here...

things left:
    1. an elevation of the temple
    2. some aesthetic stuff to really punch this thing up
    3. win
    4. win? eh maybe, there is some stiff competition in this here challenge

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	July 10 Challenge 05.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	27448  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's a great monochromatic color scheme. The trees look like rocks, though, so you may want a bit more green there...unless you want the monochromatic scheme.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast