Thread: A Collection of Swamp Maps for my D&D adventure

Default A Collection of Swamp Maps for my D&D adventure

Well, I've finally started to create maps, so I figured I'd share my first attempts. These maps were built with MapX and Gimp, using Istarlom's tutorial Found here. I varied things up a bit, obviously, since these are overland maps, but, the basics work surprisingly similar.

Note, these are fairly complicated maps, many of which have four or five different terrain types. I'll post a key in a second.

Also note, these are all meant to be used in Maptools, so, I've kept them all at around 250 k. I find that anything bigger than that tends to be laggy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encounter 17.jpg 
Views:	3436 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	26657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encounter 10 Island.jpg 
Views:	18631 
Size:	228.2 KB 
ID:	26658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Encounter 14 Foggy.jpg 
Views:	2403 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	26661  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

congrats on your first maps ... they do make me ponder though - why the square terrains? for a more natural look you should go with free flowing form but this might fit your campaign in which case go with the non-flow
    The borders to the water are very dominating - I'd tone those way down.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I like the tiled look
    but I agree with tilt, the borders are a bit much

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I can see where the borders are too dominating. Maybe cutting them in half would make them look better, or perhaps blurring the edges. Was using a tutorial that was for creating walls in a dungeon to make the water borders, so, that's why they're so thick.

I do actually like the tiled look. This is meant as a combat map, so function is my first priority. That means that each tile should be a fairly complete square to avoid the half and half issue for terrain effects. More "board gamey" look, but, for what it's worth, more precise and easier to use.

Blog Entries

I agree with "the ease of use" when you use tiles to describe terrain. Another option could be to use a mark in the corner of the tiles - D&D use a small triangle to denote "difficult terrain", then its easy for players to see where to go (or not go) when they move
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Yeah, tried a couple of new ones. Lost my original tiles when my computer went kerblooie this week. Teach me to not back stuff up.

Anway, left off the shadow around the shorelines. Still futzing about with what texture to use for shorelines, but, I like the results of these two better:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swamp20.jpg 
Views:	11358 
Size:	266.9 KB 
ID:	26810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swamp21.jpg 
Views:	2215 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	26811  
    Last edited by Hussar; 07-08-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Whoops, needed to fix the attachments

Blog Entries

much better.. perhaps you should go back to a brownish shoreline though - or make the water greener...
    regs tilt

Actually, I liked the original bold borders on the water better than I like the combination of textures and tiles. It looks like linoleum. Basically, the textures say "photorealistic map" while the tiling says "abstract map". If the textures were replaced with something more abstract, I think it would look better. Tiles of plain color, with perhaps a simple symbol, would fit the grid-of-tiles approach better IMO.

On the plus side, Kobold Quarterly has This thread on terrain for 4e that is going to fit in with this perfectly.

Tilt - yeah, totally agree. The light border just washes out. Making the border darker is the next attempt I think.

rdanhenry - heh. I can see the linoleum. Not sure if I want to go abstract though. I like the photo realistic. The tiles are there because these are combat maps. It makes life so much easier when the tiles are easily visible.