Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some maps I made in GIMP

Just started working on this map today

I always have trouble with rivers so I was wondering what other people might think about my current placement of them etc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new map 3.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	27242  

Props for the mountains... they look really really good!! I'll have to take a look at that tutorial and see if I can adapt it to Corel.

Like what you did with the map keys. The forest still needs improvements. Not sure what as I haven't really tackled that area myself yet, but something.
    Last edited by LordJR; 07-20-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Experimenting with the rivers...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new map 3-2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	264.8 KB 
ID:	27246  

This is coming along very well. I like the overall shape of the landmass, and your mountains are excellent!

Very nice mountains. One thing: your lake, near the southern edge of the map, still looks like it did, when you drew it in. It looks like it's just a scribbled area. Also, it has two rivers flowing from it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Other than the coastal areas looking a bit pixellated I think this looks good. The rivers look good (but I only skimmed over the map).

@Seretur - To me it looks as though the two rivers flow from the mountains and join together at the lake.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oh, duh. I think I stayed up far too late and woke up far too early. My brain is fried. The lake still does have the scribbly effect.

Generally, the river placement looks pretty good to me. There are a couple of places, though, where they're doing something unexpected. Specifically, the really long river system that starts in the midst of the U-shaped mountains in the north seems like it should empty into the bay to the west, but instead it enters the pass and flows toward the center of the landmass. In order for that to happen, the land between that pass and the bay must be higher than it appears to be.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That was my main bugaboo as well Mid but I was letting it slide.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Normally I would have, too, but dystmesis did specifically ask for input on the rivers.

As I think about it further, this is one of those maps that has mountains and not-mountains. There's not really any sense of relative height in the not-mountains areas. Instead, we infer where the highlands are based on where the rivers flow. I know there must be a range of hills around here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	27288
    because the river avoids it. Unfortunately, there's not yet anything in the shaded relief to prove it. Perhaps some hypsometric tinting would solve it? (Hypsometric tinting is the use of different colors to indicate elevation.) I think this style might look nice with a gradient that went white-grey-brown-green. Of course, since this map appears not to have been designed with a heightmap, the gradient will have to be set up by hand. However, since you're working in Gimp, you have much better gradient tools than if you were in Photoshop, which should make that much easier if you decide to try it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast