Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Football: World Cup

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

As an American 1%er (we who actually watch and follow world football) I'm severely ticked off about our team. We got lucky against England but we're better than that. We should have murdered Slovenia and Algeria. We should have beat Ghana and Uruguay would have been tough but it was right there for us to be in the semis. We would have probably lost to the Netherlands and lost the third place game but it was right there so who knows. But we stunk up the joint. Granted we didn't stink things up as bad as England, France, or Italy but I'm still really mad about the whole thing. Spain can't score unless Villa does it (5 for him 1 from the others), Uruguay can't squeak out another so Germany vs. Netherlands and the blitzkrieg wins 3 - 1 and Spain takes the third place game 2 - 0. Bring on 2014...in Brazil, I think.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Oh yeah tilt? You should try living in England.
    *lol* ... well, when it goes bad (and when it goes good) we'll typical go something like "well, we're only 5 million people against those big countries" ... actually I've long thought we should make a final count in the olympics: medals/capita ... then we'd be in top
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    We should have beat Ghana and Uruguay would have been tough but it was right there for us to be in the semis.
    Well, the Ghana part, easier said than done, they do have a good team, and they were one very small step away from the semis(missed a penalty kick in the last minutes of extra time). Second, USA is not that great at, they rely too much on Donovan, although I do admit that they have grown a lot the past years(see Confederations Cup). Anyway, I think that the US team did a good job, so you should just be proud of them, at least your team was at the World Championships.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentOne View Post
    ........at least your team was at the World Championships.
    *SNIFF* *SNIFF* are the sounds eminating from a small beaver holding a little maple leaf in one hand and trying desperately to "be strong" while wiping away tears with the other.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Do like the Germans and let others move in and get citizenship. Podolski, Gomez, and Boateng?! Come on.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

We should open a separate thread for this, but it was only a question of time until we discuss this
    Ascension: ..., Klose, Cacau etc. We were drilled to be multicultural, due to our past. After the game vs. Ghana reporters interviewed Mesut Özil (born and raised in the town that should not be named(Gelsenkirchen)) and Hans Sarpei (born in Ghana and raised in Germany). It was very funny: Sarpei could teach Özil german lessons!
    I hope that we will get the fourth star! The performance of the Dutch this evening was efficient, but not superior.
    btw: four years ago it was a fantastic event. I live next to the street that runs to the stadium and we had a party that lasted 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    *lol* ... well, when it goes bad (and when it goes good) we'll typical go something like "well, we're only 5 million people against those big countries" ... actually I've long thought we should make a final count in the olympics: medals/capita ... then we'd be in top
    Sorry, I checked the stats. Denmark got about 1 medal per 700,000 population at the last olympics. New Zealeand beats that with 1 medal per 440,000. Australia got 1 medal per 430,000 population.

You certainly turn the tables on the USA though. 1 medal per 2.7 million

And as the Brits and Canadians will remember, at the commonwealth games Australia gets 1 medal per person
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 07-06-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aval Penworth View Post
    Sorry, I checked the stats. Denmark got about 1 medal per 700,000 population at the last olympics. New Zealeand beats that with 1 medal per 440,000. Australia got 1 medal per 430,000 population.
    You certainly turn the tables on the USA though. 1 medal per 2.7 million
    And as the Brits and Canadians will remember, at the commonwealth games Australia gets 1 medal per person
    ... thanks for that - when I said in top, I didn't nescecarily mean 1st .. 3rd is just fine ... just as long as we beat the big nations
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I guess it will be the Netherlands vs. Spain then
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast