Thread: Interterran Sea

Default Interterran Sea

A random-coast map that I created to try to find a way to make mountains without the long, smooth ridge evident in the later versions here. I think I've got something fairly good looking, but I can't remember how I did it. Ah well.

Anyway, I figured I'd post it here for critiquing. I think the contrast on the mountains may be a bit high, so I'll probably tone that down a little, while I try to figure out how to reconstruct it. Anything else I'm missing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interterran Sea.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	26720  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

try playing with your Colors -> Curves dialog, like the attached, on the heightmap before you run your bump map. That'll emphasize the peaks and lessen the roundness.

Name:	curves.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	26723  

I'll play around with it, but every time I've tried that before, I end up with a ridge, which is exactly what I don't want. I would like to find a way to get rid of the roundness without creating the ridge, but I'd rather settle for roundness than the ridge. I'll give it another try, though.

After experimenting with it for a short while, here's what I got. Still not entirely happy with it, and would prefer it if the mountains hadn't shrunk quite so much. Another problem now is that the mountains appear to be at the same level as the forest. Any suggestions on fixing that?

Name:	Interterran Sea_newMountains.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	26728