Thread: A map for a steampunkish-world story I'm thinking up at the moment.

Default A map for a steampunkish-world story I'm thinking up at the moment.

But I really need some tips, I'm stuck really. If anyone had suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

I'm planning to do country/nation borders but I need help with map icons and that sort of stuff, the web hasn't pulled anything up for me.

Have you looked at the mapping elements area here?
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Professional Artist

I'm actually working on a similar project right now. Check out my WIP thread here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-WIP-Victorian

I'd start by looking on the net for maps made in the 1800s so you can get a feel of the styles they used (if you look in the reference section there is a sticky with links on on line map libraries of old maps). Then it's a question of 'steam-punking' it up. look on line for pictures of cogs, gears, pipes etc (ornament from gothic churches is also quite useful), cut them out and use them to build a steampunk style border and cartouche (it's easier if you desaturate them to start with and then colour them in so they look consisent (use the dodge and burn tool to make the shadows consistent). Or you could do a search for steampunk brushes on photoshop (google took me here) and you could use the brushes instead.

I've done a very quick and dirty - copy map from the David Rumsey Collection with some of the elements from the steampunk brushes on top with a few layerstyles just to give you the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steammap.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	484.9 KB 
ID:	26744  

Heh....I'm having fun with this now. Bits of old typewriter keyboard, pressure guages etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mapulator.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	788.8 KB 
ID:	26749  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I use a lot of fonts for icons and symbols.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps