Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: November 2007 Entry: Superstition Valley

Wip Mountain Mods - 1st attempt

Good thing I tried this experiment of testing the mountain modules to see how they worked. I can already tell, I need at least a dozen more pieces to cover some angles I hadn't thought of ahead of time - still it is already working well enough. I'm definitely on the right track.

Oh, I tried my scrubland fill at different scales just to see how it looked for a region fill. I tried my cactus and bushes, but they didn't work well - needs some tweaking.

Anyway, Mountain Mods - 1st attempt... WIP so far...

Top left is a flattop ridge using my first mountain doodle.
    Center top, same doodle, but both sides facing each other to form a canyon and a box canyon connecting piece at the bottom.
    Top right, just one side of the mountain range to indicate a plateau over the ground level.

Upper center - is one side of the "east west" canyon side with a couple of end pieces attached.
    Lower center is upper and lower canyon wall with left side box canyon connector.
    Bottom is just the lower wall of the canyon with two upper end mountain pieces attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-mods.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	1385  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-06-2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: description of graphic
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

That is really cool. I like the modularity of those. Really great idea.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post I think there's more potential in modular mountains

The more I think about it, the more I can see that there is lots of potential in this "modular mountains" concept.

My map is in a 3/4 view, however, "modular mountains" should work no problem in standard birds-eye-view of a normal map perspective.

My map currently is b/w which makes it easier to match terrains, even in color as long as mountain tops maintain the same color and the area between objects also become filled with this same color or other mountain modules of the same set - it should work fine.

My "mountains" are the flat-top desert mesaland kind of mountains of the southwest US, but this should work fine with standard "alpine mountains" or any other type of mountain terrain.

Lastly, mine are hand drawings, but as long as terrain edges are similar, it should work with standard mountains created by any means digital or otherwise.

The idea came to me, only after drawing that first mountain range in my first post. I didn't want to draw a million different possible mountain ranges to offer a basic few as web objects. How could I take advantage of this single mountain range? That's when I thought to cut it down the ridge line and make two pieces.

Why not cut the ends of as well to offer different ends, add-ons or changes in terrain direction.

This could probably work with other terrains as well - forests, swamps and other terrains with defineable changes to more neutral terrains.

Thoughts?

(Still doodling for primary towns and structures, if I don't post tonight, I'll do it sometime tomorrow... )
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-06-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added two lines
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    How could I take advantage of this single mountain range? That's when I thought to cut it down the ridge line and make two pieces.

Why not cut the ends of as well to offer different ends, add-ons or changes in terrain direction.

This could probably work with other terrains as well - forests, swamps and other
    That is how many isometric view video games do it.

-Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 11-06-2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: many not most

Post That makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    That is how many isometric view video games do it.

-Rob A>
    Well that makes sense! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of it. There's probably lots of video game creation technique that directly applies to map making.

I should learn more - never really been a video/computer game fanatic, so I never really looked.
    DrivethruRPG store

Info To a limited degree, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Is it possible to rotate the modular mountain elements and still have them work at differing angles?
    Of course these mountains could be flipped on the X-axis, and I'll probably being doing just that opposed to creating custom mountains in every direction.

However, because of the upward angles of the slopes, too much rotation would be to obviously wrong, so I don't think you have lots of rotation to work with.

I will be creating mountains in 45 degree angle, 135 degrees and their flipped opposites. I plan to create some rounded south, west, east and north faces and some faces with contorted rocks changing direction suddenly.

Although the modular mountains are proving to work well, there is only a slight amount of reuse value in each mountain module object. By mixing the pieces however, you could the same element more than once, as it is disguised by the other attached pieces.
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip A few more mountain configurations...

Without adding more mountain modules yet, I took the existing ones I had, applied some horizontal flipping and rescaling to create a few more mountain configurations.

And I discovered they don't really work well with much rotation at all.

Anyway, a few more mountain configurations...

(I'll get to buildings later on today...)

WIP so far - mountain mods - attempt 2:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-mods-2.gif 
Views:	117 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	1398  
    DrivethruRPG store

Regarding matching colors and such - Don't discount translucence. If you keep them black lines on white and then make the white transparent, people can drop the symbol onto any background and have different mountain colors and such.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast