Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: November 2007 Entry: Superstition Valley

Post True, but...

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Regarding matching colors and such - Don't discount translucence. If you keep them black lines on white and then make the white transparent, people can drop the symbol onto any background and have different mountain colors and such.
    Although that is certainly true, the fact that you can't see the join in my maps is because the white is solid. The transparency area beyond the outlined shape is by default "gray". thus the white covers overlap area between mountain modules.

If I were to make the object as "black lines" only, you limit what the modules do by requiring to meet the exact "seam" - its more difficult to join.

I can see the advantages in solid line graphics only, if I could figure a clean way to match up the seams.

Otherwise I only see requiring both black and white to make this object. In the case of color, same thing. Which brings up another problem - if the mountain tops do not touch, the open area at the tops of the mountains are the color of the background beneath the mountain objects. The mapper would be required to place a matching color or fill at the mountain top levels, in situations like these.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-07-2007 at 02:32 PM. Reason: mispelling
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I've tested out my idea and works just fine with the sample you posted up above of the canyons and mesas. Yes, the mapper has to be creative with the colors/textures used, but the hard work, the symbols, is all done so the background is a matter of splashing around some texture fills.

Once you get a larger volume of symbols done, I'll post an example of what I'm talking about if my description isn't very clear.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Post I agree that's certainly viable

I can understand what you're meaning, and please do provide a sample - I'm interested.

I was just trying to create something more user friendly in this regard, however I hope this wouldn't be a restriction for more creative mappers.

So, what if I were to create a Mountain Mods pack, that includes black and white, black line only and outline with color fill versions all included. So the mapper can decide which module type works best for their methods?

And for this Old West Map and map object challenge, I'll provide all three in the final submission. This of course will be for all map object elements, not just the mountain modules.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Sounds like a really great plan!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Wip More mountains and some buildings

OK, I've created a few more mountain faces and a couple buildings - Fort Joachim and Mission of San Pedro, as well as a frontal mine entrance with an ore car on rails.

I want to create some pointed ridge mountains as well to round out the mountain mods.

It was getting late, so I didn't make any more for tonight.

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-mods-3.gif 
Views:	150 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	1409  
    DrivethruRPG store

Default Oh, don't do that to me!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I think you should do all your maps by hand from now on!
    Granted, I've been able to draw since I could hold a pen or pencil, and my career is based on my artist ability, however, I like digital graphics, especially 3D as it can create images I cannot by hand.

I appreciate, that you recognize and appreciate my natural talent, but don't condemn me to one type of map creation - that's against my grain.

I need options to create, sometimes I mix media and sometimes I draw by hand.

I am sure you will see more examples of my hand done work in the future, but don't expect it exclusively!
    DrivethruRPG store

A nice watercolor effect would go really well with those to add the color. I think more realistic or textured coloring would ruin it.

Post Oh, that's for sure in this case!

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    A nice watercolor effect would go really well with those to add the color. I think more realistic or textured coloring would ruin it.
    I've already said on the first page of this thread, that "muted watercolor tones" is what I plan to use in my color version of this map. So RP you're quite right about ruining it if I choose any other texturing method.

When I say "mixed media" that's more like what I did on my last challenge, that won't do for this one.

Wish I still had Painter, its the best at creating watercolor imagery. (CD scratched and harddrive fried with my last loaded copy.) I'll probably use PS instead.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-08-2007 at 04:40 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Some ridge type mountains and more buildings

I added a few north-south non-flattop mountain ridges - as I need a few in my final map.

I created several structures: on top is the Hacienda of Don Ernesto Reyes, beneath that is a redo of my Mining Town Mill with a Town Hotel in foreground - which represents Orion Hill and the Constellation Mine, beneath that I have the adobe ruins of Haleyville, near the bottom is the tents of Gila Gulch, and in the corner is an Agave cactus.

WIP so far...

Slowly, but surely I'm getting this done. Each night I can create about ten or so objects. I need a few east-west and diagonally arranged ridge mountains and end-pieces and that should do it for Mountain mods for this challenge.

I need to create a few dozen more plants, a few more mining structures, a railroad, and the other required symbols for the challenge. After which I will begin coloring of the web objects.

Then finally, I'll get to assemble the map of Superstition Valley and get ready to finalize it!

(I hope I'm not the only one doing this challenge! )

Getting closer...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-mods-4.gif 
Views:	110 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	1449  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-08-2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: corrections
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast