Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: November 2007 Entry: Superstition Valley

Wip Actually 16 colors destroyed the continuity

Ravs, about the zoom in issues, that's really because it was 16 color GIF that I uploaded. I thought I created a 256 GIF. The gradations were lost, the feathered edges were lost, the transitions between map objects were lost - all due to lack of color.

So, I've uploaded a JPEG of the same map, to show, that you should be able to zoom in more with better quality.

WIP in JPG format...

Notice how the roads, are areas that lack the ground cover vegetation - I really like this for this kind of map, afterall, these aren't brick streets, just exposed ground with plants and rocks moved out of the way, so this is how it should look at this distance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superstition.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	919.7 KB 
ID:	1584  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-15-2007 at 09:51 AM. Reason: point on roads
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wip Superstition Valley map completed...

As far as the map I originally intended - Superstition Valley, its complete.

I have yet to create all the required symbols and yet to create all versions to be posted on a webpage for challenge viewing and download. So the challenge isn't complete, just the map portion of it.

I started to hand-draw all my text - what am I kidding, that's way too much work, so I resorted to several fonts and placed the text in with white shadowing and creative placement.

I rescaled the structures to more "accurate" though still its too big - again this is supposed to be a map, not an aerial photo. I placed the last structures that weren't in the last WIP.

I'll probably create a black and white version before the end as well.

WIP so far... (Whoops, Tucson got bumped before I saved it - its floating above the horizon)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	131 
Size:	601.6 KB 
ID:	1591  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-16-2007 at 12:39 AM. Reason: noticed an error
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I think this is incredible work GP. Well done. You have clearly got some great skill with the pen. I'm envious.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Absolutely beautiful - and with the modular symbols I'll be able to draw one like it?

Just one observation though - the black river banks might be too overstated, I find my eye constantly drawn to the river banks because they are so dominant.

Post Perhaps I should convert river to unfilled lineart

That thought has occurred to me, as well. Perhaps I should take away that solid fill and make the river just unfilled line art - then place a softer blue watercolor fill behind it.

Yes, Ravs!
    Except for the river and the cliff banks - which I created specifically for this river, and the river was never intended to be a map object. It is specific to this map only. All other mountain module elements are setup, so that yes, Ravs, you could easily create an old west map such as this in no time at all.

Perhaps I should make the river a map object too, just its not configurable like the mountain modules, the river only goes one way.

I should have all the map objects completed in their various formats and uploaded into a webpage, sometime this weekend.
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip I removed the black fill in the river...

Is this an improvement?

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	195 
Size:	597.0 KB 
ID:	1593
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Mountains are good for more than Old West maps

Although I will wait until after this challenge is over, I've been thinking about creating bonus packs that fit themes other than Old West, using the same mountain modules.

Because of the flat top nature of these mountains indicative with American desert southwest, a mapper might reserve the use of these mountains to creating old west only maps. I think they have more value than that.

Keeping the desert southwest theme, I might create an Azteca pack containing ziggurat pyramids, rectangular sun temples, pueblo type communities, cliff-dwelling sites, additional slot canyon modules too.

Medieval fantasy with a few castles and towers, temples, paved road mods, and walled desert communities, even a small colleseum arena.

Finally, a Sci-Fi themed pack with Starports and flat-top landing zones, outpost mining communities, tunnel entrances to place into the face of a vertical slope mountain module for underground bunker/prison/military outpost. Also planetary defense guns, field generators, etc.

How about a Stargate?

I think adding additional packs in different themes would expand the use of mountain modules in designing any artistic style map requirement.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 11-17-2007 at 08:16 PM. Reason: edits
    DrivethruRPG store

YES!

Er... pardon my enthusiasm. Really, though, this is jaw-dropping work. It makes me want to write a Western campaign just so I can use all the bits you've made. Come to think of it, I think I know somebody's who has a Sidewinder rulebook...

Ooh! This would be perfect for a Firefly game! That's an even better idea!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast