Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harrum

Default Harrum

So I'll be rather honest, I don't have a clue where I want to go with this... I made the continent and just wanted to find a new way, something different this is one stab at a different "look" still bare bones here, but let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harrum.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	3.86 MB 
ID:	26743  
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice texture... the water seems a little ... blurry.. vague... it doesn't fit the solidity of the land
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the land colors but I think it has too many bumps. Not sure what those are for. Maybe erase some out leaving some flat spots for plains.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well I wasn't making too much progress with the other style... So I decided to try another way, The water still is way bright, but tell me what you think!!! Oh and I know there needs to be more "plains" and what not the land is a bit rough, I just thought of a different way of getting mountains onto the landscape, tell me what works or what doesn't!

Name:	Exp1.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	27203  
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I love the oceans in that. Love 'em. I like the overall idea of the terrain too, but right now it seems too busy; you're right, you need more flat terrain. Also, I like the mountains, but is there a way to 'beef them up' a little? To make portions of them thicker ranges, or give the illusion of greater height on some parts?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll agree with Diamond - cool oceans... I like the bumpiness of the land, but its to much "all over", if you look at our world the mountains mostly come in ranges (they appear where tectonic plates come together), so try working from that
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The technique for the mtns looks good but the pattern used as a base for them has a lot of repeats in it. As for mtn size I guess it's a question of scale so this would work for a world map but not for regional scale. You're spot on with the changes you need to make otherwise.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the comments, and to be honest when I started to mess with the ocean I got super excited when it started to become what it is, I think I may play with it some more in the future, cause I believe I got a few more ideas to make it look even better but we'll see

Well I tried to "beef" up the mountains. haha well it was either small or large, I went for a more medium look and it didn't turn out so well, so let me know what you think of these ones.

And Ascension your right haha, I didn't realize until I read your comment, and look at it from a more "zoomed" out view so I tried another pattern. I never thought to use a pattern as a bases for the mountains, but it seems to work, it gives a good "range" if you choose the right pattern of course.

So once more tell me what I can work on! I haven't cleaned up all the smaller mountains that just look weird, but I've done most of the bottom left portion of the map.

Update!!

Name:	Exp2.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	27212  
    Projects

Hey Yandor, this map has great potential! I too like the oceans, although the ocean shelf feels a bit sharp. My own preference would be to see the opacity toned down somewhat. The new mountains are pretty nifty as well. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like those new mountains, and I'm digging that ginormous volcano in the lower left.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast