Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who are you gals/guys anyway?

My name's Joshua, a twenty-five year old American, and a wanderer at heart. I finished up university about two or three years ago, and after finding out that there is practically nothing to do with an English and philosophy double major, I decided to listen to my itchy feet and travel. Last year I taught English in Hong Kong, this year I'm teaching in Seoul, South Korea and I've visited about six countries in the gap between those two jobs (backpacked around SouthEast Asia for a few months).

I will need to find a career sooner or later (hopefully sooner), but for the moment I am happily indulging in my wanderlust. I picked up a lovely British girlfriend in Hong Kong who came with me to South Korea, though we're both finding Seoul to be less fun and friendly than HK. I only got into mapping a few months ago when I decided to design a board game (Cannons & Crossbones on TheGameCrafter if you want to look it up--I could use the feedback too) but I've always loved RPGs (pen and paper or digital) so I decided to try and produce some maps for that. I have always dabbled in Photoshop, so this is a really great means to getting into graphic design, though I should probably branch out and experiment with more software if I ever want it to become a marketable skill.

I've done a little bit of everything, and I easily get carried away on little hobbies/projects. Before Hong Kong, I was writing a lot and have published poetry in a few small literary publications. Before that, I was working as an Assistant Manager in a video game shop. At the moment I am trying to pick up as many paid commissions as I can to support my cigar-and-scotch habits (just bought a box of amazing Bolivar Coronas Gigantes), though I hope to channel some of that cash into buying a tablet as soon as a decent 12-inch tablet PC gets released. I hope to go back to school some time in the next few years to pursue a PhD in literature.

Ancient graphic designer here, I run my own studio and digital printshop in rural Illinois. I run Gamer Printshop, my shop during off hours printing RPG maps for individuals and publishers. I've also begun the process of publishing my first RPG setting - Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting, as well as preparing a new Iron Age Celtic setting for publication perhaps next year. I also am involved with another publishing project that should be released soon - the first of a supposedly monthly project as adventure slices and support material for a more typical fantasy setting. I've brought my hobby life tied with my business life and its a good combination so far.

I was born in 1963. I am half Japanese, and otherwise mostly Irish/Scottish, with a bit of Pennsylvania Dutch (German) thrown in there. I am single and have a German Shepherd named Suiko - which is family for me. That's about it.

GP

PS: "GP" is my nickname here, my real name is Michael K. Tumey - its on my publications and some of my maps so no reason to hide...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-08-2010 at 02:42 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I am Chris, a youngun of only 20 winters.

Born and raised in the endless sea of asphalt and buildings that makes the GTA. Gardening and indoor crafts are sort of an escape as well as hobbies I'm into horticulture, and intend on making my main job something related to it. Either landscape maintenance/construction, working in a greenhouse, or in the retail sector with my own small business. Right now I am in college, in a program that will help me out a lot in that regard.

I always need projects to stay busy, so that's where my many hobbies come in.
    - Maille, making armour and jewelry (I also intend on selling some jewelry this summer to pay for the hobbies, and then some)
    - Costume arms and armour from various materials
    - Cartography, to help develop my fantasy worlds
    - Music creation; I'm a completely self taught musician who needs a lot of practice
    - Writing, which takes a long time for me...
    - Miniature modeling. Right now I'm building a castle
    - Creating strategy board games
    - Some other things I probably forgot about

I'm of English/French/Scottish/Cree/Possibly German descent. Due primarily to the great distances between parks, beaches, big cities, and affordable areas, and the real estate market (which is a crime against humanity over here), and the lower income I will expect to make, I suppose I intend on moving to the UK with my sisters in several years. Ancestry visa, combined income for a few years, better pay for the job, and far lower house prices mean I can have a better life. And more time for hobbies.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

Hi guys,
    Guess I'll pitch in. Michael, born 1969, married (20 years in September), no kids but two dogs and two cats that fill the role nicely. Born in Georgia but moved around to Alabama and Hawaii during school and college. Served in the Army (Chinese linguist) and was stationed in Hawaii. Afterward lived in Monterey and Silicon Valley for a few years and then semi-retired to Vancouver, WA (across the river from Portland). I work at home (entertainment industry market research) and have a random amount of time for my many hobbies (at none of which I excel): 2D/3D graphics, game programming, writing, tabletop gaming, robotics, model railroading. For the past year I have been noodling over an Asian-themed campaign setting for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game from Paizo Publishing. Haven't been pushing too hard on it so far but have recently stepped up my efforts. Website and products are coming together but it'll be a while (if ever) before it makes me any money.
    M

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hi, my name's Tabitha. I like puppies, long walks on the beach, and sunsets.

Oh wait, wrong forum.

My actual name is Jim, today is my 38th birthday, and I'm an optician in the San Francisco area. Thought I was going to be a career Navy guy until I got downsized back in '96. Divorced, no kids. I've been a map freak since a very early age; one of my earliest memories is of my mom scrubbing the crayon map I did of our neighborhood off the living room wall. I'm an aspiring writer, with two books completed, one of which I'm hoping will actually be published before too long.

Hmm, what else. I was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, but left at an early age and have lived mainly in California since then except for my time in the Navy. Moved to SF about five years ago and I love it so much up here I don't think I'll ever leave. I was a beer connoisseur in my younger days, but I'm off the sauce now; my only bad habits at present are smoking far too much and subsisting on a diet of junk food.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    ...my only bad habits at present are smoking far too much and subsisting on a diet of junk food.
    Hmm...much the same as me, except I kept the beer too!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm Jon - no real secret there these days. I'm a physicist currently residing at NYU and working on cosmic rays and dark matter. I'm a Scot from Edinburgh initially and I've moved around a lot in the last few years. I was led here by RPMiller a while ago when I was running a maptools campaign of D&D 3.5 from Poland and have stuck around since. I've always loved drawing and got into digital art when I got a tablet a couple of years ago. Now it's a regular thing and I seem to be picking up a steady stream of commissions. It's a fun twist from the day job. Interesting to get a bit more information behind the usernames of this community. I've found it to be one of the friendliest corners of the internet - which is at least as important to me as the maps.

Nate, b. 1994, going into my Junior year of High School. Interested in politics, programming, linguistics, worldbuilding, and conlanging. Aspiring computer programmer.

Great Thread! I had no idea you were so young Rythal, and Gidde I always assumed you were a male for some reason. Funny how skewed our expectations can be huh. Anyway the name is Tad. I was born in Newport Oregon in 1979, and spent most of my formative years in that lovely state. I am married to a brilliant, beautiful, sassy woman (coming up on our 6 year anniversary at the end of July). We moved out to sunny OC Cal in 2007 so that I could pursue a masters degree in Philosophy, and she could pursue an MBA. I am now finished, and waiting for her, and within a year we plan to move out of this dust bowl to wherever my PHD program will be (right now New Zealand is looking mighty tempting!).

So my interests include: Philosophy (broadly, but in particular ethics), Theology, Hiking, Swing Dancing, cooking, fantasy literature and RPG's. I found this community several months ago while searching the net for tips on how to make homemade maps for a couple of campaigns that I am currently running. I soon fell in love with fantasy cartography as well, but sadly, life has been too full to allow me as much time as I would like to this latest love. Well, that's me I guess. Glad to be here.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh (aka Tad)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast