Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I make a multi-layered PDF for easy customization when printing?

Question How do I make a multi-layered PDF for easy customization when printing?

Basically, I want to have a few tic-boxes at the top of the page which, when clicked, will rotate a portion of the image, change a texture, add an overlaid grid, etc. Does anyone know what programs I could use for this, or know of any tutorials? Fat Dragon Games products on RPGnow come on multilayered PDFs which let you switch around textures, so I know it is possible--I just have no idea how to go about it!

I hadn't realised that this was possible.

Looks like you need to do the original drawning in a CAD programme or illustrator which is supported by Adobe...see this link and this link.

I'd love to find a way of doing this too without having to buy adobe acrobat professional a supported CAD programme or illustrator.

I've found a sample layered .pdf map if anyone wants to try it. You'll need to open the document in adobe reader and Click View / Navigational Panels / Layers.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

don't know about the rotation - but acrobat prof supports not only layers, but also different page sizes
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

And it gives you the ability to set latitude and longitude, mapping scales so the user can draw lines on the document in reader and get distances and things....very...very...tempted to buy it.....

Yeah, my google-fu has yet to turn up any options other than Adobe Acrobat Pro. I guess they have a free 30-day trial, so I might DL it to fiddle around and see if it can do exactly what I want--it looks like it does.

Blog Entries

it is a rather cool program - of course its an integrated part of the "print" package CS3 I have so I don't think that much about it other than it mostly work in the background of InDesign
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Most of us hobbyists sadly don't have $500 to spend on it though.

Blog Entries

you gotta take some more commissions so you can save up
    regs tilt

With CS5 Adobe nearly doubled the prices for the student editions, but they are now allowed for commercial use and for the next update. Until now it was possible to book a weekend course in the (I don't know the word, here "Volkshochschule" or "VHS") ?evening school? to get a licence that allows you to buy the student edition. Not with CS5.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I use acrobat pro pretty regularly at work, and have no knowledge of being able to do what you're talking about. I suspect you'd need InDesign.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast