Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cartographers' Guild Presents Our First Gallery Show!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default The Cartographers' Guild Presents Our First Gallery Show!

The Cartographers' Guild has teamed up with the Soho Gallery for Digital Art to present a digital show of fantasy and sci-fi maps from the 16th to the 29th of July in Soho, Manhattan. The show will include maps from Industry Pros, Featured Maps and Challenge Winners from the lifetime of the Guild. The maps on display will be offered for sale as limited edition prints with 70% of the profit going to the artists in question. We have an amazing body of work here at the guild and it is high time it was seen hanging in a proper gallery!

I have been contacting members of the guild whose work falls into these categories over the past weeks. I've had a great response from everyone and I've sent round the contract to those members from whom I have had a firm commitment. If your work qualifies and you have not heard from me please send me an email at jonathan@fantasticmaps.com. Equally, if you responded to my initial contact and have not received a contract today then please email me. This is likely to be due to problems with syncing real world names with CG usernames.

Edit: The show has now opened and is doing really well. We had a great opening reception last night.

The full list of pieces - with thumbnails - is here:
    http://fantasticmaps.wordpress.com/t...a-map-listing/

A low res preview of the animated map screens is here:
    http://fantasticmaps.wordpress.com/terra-incognita/

Note - Tear's Westeros and Sarifal maps are in the show, but they are not offered for sale. Therefore they do not appear in the print listing.
    Last edited by torstan; 07-22-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Sounds like a great idea! And some fantastic exposure for some of our members. How about a list here of what pieces are being shown?

I just checked their website and they seem to have left us off of their list of upcoming events. You might want to give em a nudge.

Good luck to those that are showing. I hope this generates some well-deserved sales!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I still need to finish the graphic and a bit of blurb before they post it to their calendar. A list of the pieces would be fun. Once we have a finalised list I'll certainly put one together.

Wow, that's pretty awesome
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yeah, I have three pieces going in for sure, though I provided five to pick three from: September '08 Challenge Win map, Sargoseum map for ICE contest, One Page Dungeon Contest map (Jan '10 Challenge), Feb '09 Challenge Genpei War map, and my Iwaizumi Village map (Feb '10 challenge). Some these aren't Challenge Win maps, but still among my better works.

The requirement was for unpublished maps, so publisher rights couldn't be infringed with a contract for possible print sales of these maps.

I've been dying to see the announcement here, that's for Torstan to post, as he's organizing this event. I have posted this on other forums too, and I am already aware of a dozen or so people from the various boards who live in or near NYC that are going for sure - I hope the show is a success! (I know it will be...)

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-07-2010 at 11:07 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I hope it's a success as well. The more it gets out there the better for everyone who wants to do this as a business. It could open new doors of opportunity and so on. Congrats to everyone who is able to submit works for this. REPRESENT!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

Since I live in NY I guess I'll go and see the exhibit

I have 2 or 3 that are going to be in the show as well. I am diging this the most. I have been pimping it out on the different social networks that I am part of and hitting the people I know in NYC pretty hard about it. I think it might be really well attended overall... I wish I could get out there to see it!
    Something witty and pithy

I'm promoting it as much as possible too. Hoping they add the event to the schedule soon so people don't think I'm making it up. If all goes well my Haibianr city map will be there. How exciting! Thanks for pulling this together, Torstan.
    M

It's too late to get affordable tickets and hotel for me to make it, for this one, but the next one I think I may... [that's a SPOILER that you don't know about - I can't say anymore.]

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast