Thread: Cornacre (Commission)

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Map Cornacre (Commission)

This is a recent commission piece I've made for an upcoming online game. I kept the land itself relatively simple to make the icons and paths clearer.

I'm pretty happy with how the whole thing went, particularly in terms of colours and also with the way the mountains turned out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cornacre the Southernmost Kingdom.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	89144
    © 2016 Otto Marais, All rights reserved

Comments, feedback, rep or anything else more than welcome.

Oh yes, that's definitely rather splendid.

I really like the unusual effect of having the trees paler than the ground, and all those millions of little centipede leg trunks you've put on them. It must have taken you ages!

Lovely rich colours, which are usually so difficult to use together like that.

I hope your client was suitably impressed - congratulations!

Nice job ! As Mouse said, the unusual shades of green play well on the map. A tiny nitpick, I'd have smoothed the transition from mountains to grass a little bit but that's just a matter of taste ! As you're pretty productive these days, I cannot rep you at the moment but be sure that I'll come back

Nice work with this! Have to agree with Thomrey that a little smudging at the base of the mountains might have looked better, as the transition is quite abrupt. I also wonder if you could have made the town icons a little bit bigger, since there aren't many features on the land. But that's nitpicking. Overall, it's a very attractive map and I love the bright, vivid colours. Congrats on yet another commission!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh yes, that's definitely rather splendid.

I really like the unusual effect of having the trees paler than the ground, and all those millions of little centipede leg trunks you've put on them. It must have taken you ages!

Lovely rich colours, which are usually so difficult to use together like that.

I hope your client was suitably impressed - congratulations!
    Thanks Mouse, and yes, they were very happy with it!

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Nice job ! As Mouse said, the unusual shades of green play well on the map. A tiny nitpick, I'd have smoothed the transition from mountains to grass a little bit but that's just a matter of taste ! As you're pretty productive these days, I cannot rep you at the moment but be sure that I'll come back
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Nice work with this! Have to agree with Thomrey that a little smudging at the base of the mountains might have looked better, as the transition is quite abrupt. I also wonder if you could have made the town icons a little bit bigger, since there aren't many features on the land. But that's nitpicking. Overall, it's a very attractive map and I love the bright, vivid colours. Congrats on yet another commission!
    Thanks, Thomrey and ChickPea! I think next time with mountains, I'll definitely try and smooth out the transition a bit more. I know sometimes mountains just arise in landscapes without it being rocky around, but that's obviously not always the case and I definitely see where you're coming from.