Thread: Looking for a custom world map

Help Looking for a custom world map

I am looking for a world map with a few specifics, and lots of room for imagination. By that I mean I have about 5 Town names and general locals, and the rest of the world is up to your imagination to build as you like. The specifics are as follows:

A medium sized kingdom, narrow and tall (roughly 600 miles N-S, by 200 miles E-W) bordered to the east by the sea, the west by the Rang'Terak mountain range (Preferably a "spine" for a continent) the south by desertland and the north by forests and grasslands. The southern portion of the kingdom is mostly swampland (Peters Marsh) that drains into a large landlocked lake (The Sea of Mek) and is fed by the Sarna River (a large rivver that winds from the mountains in the north-west through the center of the plains and into the swamp). The northeastern portion of the kindom is mostly plains and foothills that run down to the sea. The majority of the western portion of the kingdom is heavily forested. The kingdoms name is Lighthaven.

Major Cities:
    Lighthaven - Capitol of the Kingdom. Location - Northern Plains about midway between Peters Marsh and the headwaters of the Sarna River. Pop. - 200K+
    Rotslum - Ducal Garrison, major seaport, location of the Mages University. Location - Seashore east of Lighthaven. Pop. - 900K+
    Sethan - Small Trading Post and garrison for the kings lancers. Location - Where the Sarna deltas into Peters Marsh. Pop - 5K+
    Mekol - Ducal Garrison, large citadel, major trade city. Location - Southern end of the Sea of Mek, southern border of kingdom. Pop. - 500K+
    Sarwin - Small town, Earldom, large magical citadel. Location - NW of Rotslum abt 90 miles, N of Lighthaven abt 60 miles, S of northern border abt 15 miles. Pop. - 350

Sethan is on the eastern terminus of the forest and the nearby forest and land features bear its name (e.g Forest of Sethan, Sethan Canyon, Sethan Mines, etc.).

Major world features:
    The world is similar to earth, but roughly 3x the size. There are 4 major continents and 2 sub-continents. 1 sub-continent covers the northern polar axis of the planet is is continually ice covered. the other you can place at your discretion. Continent names: Major - Nakra, Garith (Lighthaven is on this continent), Lok'Tol 'A, Thrak Harik. Minor - Icy Wastes, Bortok. Nakra and Garith are joined by a narrow neck of land with Garith to the north and Nakra to the south. Lighthaven sits on the northeastern end of this landform.

Other than the above the world is yours to play with and build as you see fit. Please feel free to add cities, major landforms, oddities, even underwater stuff if you want. This map is for an ongoing (4 years+ now) D&D campaign, and as none of the players, nor myself, have any skill at mapbuilding that doesn't require graph paper any help would be much appreciated.

As a side note, I do have a plotter that can print 24x36 inch pages so feel free to make it BIG.

You might want to include some kind of reference for the style you like. Maybe an example or two if you have a preference. Sounds like a pretty big project.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Indeed it does. 24x36 inches is fairly large.

You'll definitely want to say what style you want. And a quick, 30 second sketch of the general locations (you don't even really need shapes, just where they are) of the continents wouldn't hurt either. People like to know the specifics before they commit to something.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably the least experienced member in the guild, so I'll leave it to one of my betters. =-P

I could do a quick sketch of the kingdom of Lighthaven, but other than the continent names I really don't have much on the rest of the world. I don't even have kingdom manes outside of Lighthaven as the party has yet to adventure to these areas. I don't have photoshop myself or I'd try designing soemthing myself with all the helpful hints and suggestions here, as it is the only program I am familiar with. And I didn't say it had to be 24x36, just that I can print images that lare to allow for whatever scale of detail any designers wanted to use. Let me sketch out lighthaven and see if you all can work from that.

Quote Originally Posted by akakscase View Post
    I could do a quick sketch of the kingdom of Lighthaven, but other than the continent names I really don't have much on the rest of the world. I don't even have kingdom manes outside of Lighthaven as the party has yet to adventure to these areas. I don't have photoshop myself or I'd try designing soemthing myself with all the helpful hints and suggestions here, as it is the only program I am familiar with. And I didn't say it had to be 24x36, just that I can print images that lare to allow for whatever scale of detail any designers wanted to use. Let me sketch out lighthaven and see if you all can work from that.
    You might want to try GIMP. It's free and has much of the same functionality as PS. At the very least, you might be able to spend a few minute or so doing up a rough sketch and that may help others get an idea of what your looking for.
    Last edited by Steel General; 07-08-2010 at 11:53 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Attached is a quick sketch of the Kingdom Lighthaven. It's not good, but it gets the idea across. If I had access to better image rendering software (i.e. Photoshop) I could do much better, but alas...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kingdom_Lighthaven.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	26787  

I'll try it out at home (at work right now and only have paint)

I've been using Gimp and following a few of the tutorials here and must say, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Going to practice and practice some more and see if I can create something like what I'm looking for.