Thread: Please help with encounter map (Gimp)

Help Please help with encounter map (Gimp)

Hi everyone!

I am trying my hand at a battle map/encounter map and I've put together a sample using Gimp along with all of the sample's attributes and my ultimate goal. Please feel free to comment, critique, laugh at, and lend suggestions.

Layer 1: "Wall Layer" (top) - 17pxl diameter paintbrush, black
    Layer 2: "Wall Background Layer" - Filled whole canvas with white and trimmed out the corridor area using the Fuzzy Select Tool (based on layer 1)
    Layer 3: "Drop Shadow Layuer" - Offset (X=0, Y=0), 23pxl, 80% opacity
    Layer 4: "Grid Layer" - 100 x 100 pixel grid, 1pxl wide lines, black
    Layer 5: "Floor Texture" - Filled whole canvas with "Paper" pattern fill, Van Gogh (LIC) artistic filter (gradient, with source image, brightness, effect image=layer 5, filter length=5.0, noise magnitude=2.0, integration steps=25.0, minimum value=-25.0, maximum value=25.0)
    Layer 6: "Background" (bottom) - Whole layer is just a transparent base

I see areas I dislike on this (namely some white spots showing up around the wall layer) and I would like the floor to look like stone tiles (like the Skeleton Key Games tiles) and be a lighter base color of grey. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battlemap sample.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	26846  
    Dolmen Creative - www.dolmen-studios.com
    Come face your destiny... Destiny6 Roleplaying Game

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

A layer of white on top of the gray, then lower the opacity or play with the blend modes will lighten the gray however much you want. Not sure how that white got there on the curves but I'd just select the walls, make the selection 2 pixels bigger and then fill a new layer with black. As for matching a certain look (Skeleton Key) I'm unfamiliar with the style you're referring to so I can't help ya there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow!!! That script is fantastic! Thank you very much for that (and all your scripts). Attached is basically the same area, just touched up with the script. Are these free for use, even in published commercial material? Would you like to have an artist's credit and link back in products that use your script?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample2.png 
Views:	370 
Size:	274.1 KB 
ID:	26853  
    Last edited by Dolmen Creative; 07-10-2010 at 06:22 AM.
    Dolmen Creative - www.dolmen-studios.com
    Come face your destiny... Destiny6 Roleplaying Game

Quote Originally Posted by Dolmen Creative View Post
    Wow!!! That script is fantastic! Thank you very much for that (and all your scripts). Attached is basically the same area, just touched up with the script. Are these free for use, even in published commercial material? Would you like to have an artist's credit and link back in products that use your script?
    Credit is always welcome. Feel free to use it in any commercial endeavours.

-Rob A>