Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: July Entry: the Menhir Dance of the Ui'iliad

that is a tight map. Well played GP. Well played indeed.
    Something witty and pithy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yup, them there peoples has shadows...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I confess that I deliberately didn't look at other entrants here until I had decided on what I was going to do.
    Now that I have I wonder if it was a wise decision for me to enter!
    All this in, what, 5 or 6 days?? Crikey.

I have one very minor consideration for your erratum that doesn't quite gel with me - "Anwynn Loch". I think this would be better as "Loch Anwynn" which is the usual word order?
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Don't let that keep you down Crayons. I have had the same feelings almost every time I have entered one of these. I'm cooking up an idea for this one as we speak, I'm just not sure if I have enough gas to get it done. Every time I have entered I have learned tons so it's worth it if you want to improve your work.

Also, NEVER judge your work vs. the speed GP can pump out a map. He's set himself up a system down that allows him to really pound them out fast. There are few if any here that I have seen who can keep up with him.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Default Loch Anwynn

One more small change to accomodate Crayon's mention of the Anwynn Loch being wrong in word order. What do I know I'm just a stupid American? So I made that change. Also noticed the druid enclave roundhouses were beneath, the land hand-drawing, so I moved them above it. That's it no more changes.

Was thinking that this would like good as half page art in a published setting handbook, and that I should make several more similar pieces, like a topdown stone roundhouse with courtyard map, with isometric view, and perhaps interior showing family activities.

Also one of the Clan chief's hall, with a topdown map view of a clan hall, then an iso-view of the hall's exterior, then an interior inset drawing of clansmen at leisure in the chief's hall, with dogs, guests, cooked fowl and mead, wine, ale...

Anyway, thanks for the comments, I felt inspired this month. And don't ever worry about how fast I map - I'm inhuman that way! Its about running my own graphic design studio - alone and having to work at an accelerated rate in order to get producton flow to handle many customer jobs simultaneously, I've been doing it for sixteen years, after having worked graphic art jobs in the industry. That production process carries over into my map making, its something I do.

Don't feel intimidated by that. Though I have four challenge golden compass awards, I have participated in over 20 challenges, so I've lost far more than have won. I do this to challenge myself, not so much as competition. And I do plan to use this as material for my own future publication, so I get a paid-for use for the map.

Oh to make this update more worthwhile, I saved at a lower compression so, less detail is lost in the export to JPG (its 100 ppi 75% compression, 1.21 MB)

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menhir-dance-of-uiiliad.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	27019  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-15-2010 at 02:00 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

"it's center" should be "its center"

Thanks RDH, there's actually all those 'Anwynn Lochs' that need to be 'Loch Anwynn', both on the map inset and the text description, so I've got several small errors to fix. I'll do it sometime next week as a 'bump' of the thread anyway. If I was smart I'd completely redo the text portion of the legend, give it correct information, yet more prose-like than it is. I kind of slapped it together anyway, so it should be redone, definately.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-19-2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Love the layout. I even think that the spelling and labeling inconsistencies give it that 12th century drudic feel.

I'd prefer a parchmenty texture, and a rougher feel overall, but that might not work so well for publication...
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Default Last update - spelling corrections...

Thanks, Aval.

OK, last update, those intended spelling corrections are made. Wanted to get this in before the deadline, but my work internet computer is on the fritz. So I just did this at home.

Good luck everyone.

GP

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menhir-done.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	27477  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-26-2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: forgot WIP tag
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345