Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eino, My First Map

Wip

I now have an updated version. Still not done, as I haven't done most of what I still need to do, but even so it looks a million times better. I found RobA's tutorial Creating Old Paper/Parchment in GIMP, and modified it a bit, which made the paper look FAR better and had the added bonus of giving more contrast!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eino Old Map Without Labels.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	26826  
    Žentaňwes lekjetkom nen řiniŧom.

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Agreed, that looks much better! Keep up the good work

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

All I can really say is that you should probably change up the mtns as they're all the same shape stamped down a bunch...looks a tad repetitive. Other than that it looks pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Thanks. That's actually exactly what I've been working on for a while now. The new ones look much, much better (and much more varied). Next step is the forests.

EDIT: I've now finished with the new mountains, for now at least, as well as a compass, so I'm posting that. As I said, the next step is the forest which now looks even worse than it already did in comparison to the new mountains.

Name:	Eino Old Map Without Labels.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	26857  
    Last edited by nai888; 07-10-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Added new version

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

Wip

All right! I've finally finished with the trees! Now this whole project seems much less daunting. I have a feeling that the mountains and forests of a map always take the longest. Now all I have left are adding cities, labels, a border, and a legend!

Name:	Eino Old Map.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	26881  

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

This is a small thing but it will take some time...the splotches on the mtns are about the same size as the trees so you might want to erase those blobs. Otherwise it looks great.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    This is a small thing but it will take some time...the splotches on the mtns are about the same size as the trees so you might want to erase those blobs. Otherwise it looks great.
    Hmmm, I would think that getting rid of those would make the mountains seem flat and unrealistic. Mountains don't generall just have a bright side and a shadowy side, they have bumps and crevices. Hmmm, but I see what you mean, though. I definitely had not thought of that at all.

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

I totally understand the desire for the nooks and crannies and shadows. These mtns have shadows so maybe just expand on those or make the blobs longer.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking way better now... but I agree with Ascencion - those blotches makes the mountains look spotty...
    Nurse. "Whats the diagnosis doctor?"
    Doctor: "That Mountain got trees - no doubt about it"

I'd change the blotches to thinner "broken" lines instead - then you'l get your cracks without "sick" mountains
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wip

Okay, well coming up with names for everything is taking longer than I thought it was (I'm coming up with a general idea for the name in English, creating the name in Eindo, then translating that name into English since English speakers won't know how to pronounce a number of the characters in the language. Later I'm going to make a second copy which is in Eindo, and a third copy which is in Eindo using the alphabet which I've devised for the language). I have names for probably about 90% of the map, but that last 10% is difficult, because I've already used so many ideas and I don't want to just reuse them. Then, once I've come up with them all I need to place them and make them visible above the map's terrain.

Since it's taking so long, I decided to post a copy of what I have done so far since the last post, which is add a border and a legend.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I also still need to fix the bumps on the mountains so that they look less like trees.

Name:	Eino Old Map.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	27193  
    Last edited by nai888; 07-18-2010 at 07:08 PM.

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast