Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eino, My First Map

Wip Eino, My First Map

Hello, everyone. This is my first map.

Not only my first map on this forum, but my first map ever. I've considered trying in the past, but I had absolutely no idea where to even begin. I've managed this so far with the aid of Jezelf's tutorials. I used the first and third of those five tutorials, though I made a few changes here and there (and I did it in GIMP instead of PS).

This is a map of the country of Eino which is quite far north, at around the latitude of Earth's Scandanavia. I have not added a compass, scale, or labels yet. I've got a few things named, but still need names for most of the map's features yet. It will be done, however, using the conlang which I've been creating, Eindo (well, the language is already created, it's simply the dictionary that I still need to build. I currently have a lexicon with a bit over 500 entries), which is what is spoken in the region depicted in the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eino Old Map Without Labels.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	26777  
    Last edited by nai888; 07-08-2010 at 02:21 PM.
    Žentaňwes lekjetkom nen řiniŧom.

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

Wow, you did your first tutorial translating it from Gimp to PS? Nice!

Lexicons are always the hardest part of conlanging. I don't think I've ever gotten more than 200 entries in mine

Back to the map, it looks very nice, especially considering you were using the wrong program for the tutorials. You've inspired me to try doing PS tuts in Gimp again.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi nai, congrats on your first map - very nice. Interesting with the trees of different sizes, what do the size represent - density? ... good work though, now you're ready for varying the symbols more so you'll have different looking elements in the map and not just the same element in different sizes... have some rep for your first EVER map *swing my mace of ok repping +4*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

First-map rep coming your way from me as well! Looking great so far, and as I've attempted many PS tutorials in GIMP, I know that's a lot of work and experimentation! My only crit so far is that it's all very faint against the background. Any chance of upping the contrast a bit?

Blog Entries

The only problem I see is that some of the larger trees give the impression that they are mountains. I wouldn't mind the variable tree size so much if they didn't get so huge. Otherwise cool map. And definitely have some rep for converting the process to GIMP, that can sometimes be the most difficult part.
    Last edited by hohum; 07-08-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added n't

Quote Originally Posted by Seretur View Post
    Wow, you did your first tutorial translating it from Gimp to PS? Nice!
    Oh, I don't know. I've always found them to be quite similar in design, so I think I've actually probably used more PS tutorials for various things over the years than GIMP ones (wait, that makes me sound like I'm an expert in GIMP because I've been using it for "years." Believe me, I'm not. I just learned what layer masks were yesterday...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Seretur View Post
    Lexicons are always the hardest part of conlanging. I don't think I've ever gotten more than 200 entries in mine
    Yeah, this is the first time that I've ever gotten more than about 100 or so. It's because I finally actually like this one, and I have a fairly thorough derivational system which helps to create lots of words with fewer roots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    My only crit so far is that it's all very faint against the background. Any chance of upping the contrast a bit?
    Okay, I'll work on that, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    now you're ready for varying the symbols more so you'll have different looking elements in the map and not just the same element in different sizes.
    Quote Originally Posted by hohum View Post
    The only problem I see is that some of the larger trees give the impression that they are mountains. I wouldn't mind the variable tree size so much if they didn't get so huge.
    Yeah, the major thing that I dislike about this map is the mountains and forests, but I haven't figured out exactly how to do it much better. The layout of the forests and mountains is pretty much exactly what I had in mind, but I'm not a fan of the symbols, and yeah, they all look the same. That's one of my next projects, along with the compass, scale, labels, and perhaps cities.
    Last edited by nai888; 07-08-2010 at 02:21 PM.

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

Blog Entries

feel free to be inspired or use compasses from my compass thread (see signature) ... when you see all the beautiful "tolkien style" maps out there, take note that they use 20-30-40 different symbols for every element, especially mountains have a lot of different shapes, and by making lots of symbols for those you add to the diversity of the map. You'll get there ... don't worry
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Oi, I'm just thinking of how long that will take to use that many different symbols, considering how long it took me to do this. Oh well, I guess quality does generally entail effort...

My WIP
    My DeviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Since you're using gimp, it's not as bad as all that. Just grab (or make) a brush pipe. It randomly picks one of its set of symbols every time you click. For example, I've got a few tree pipe sets posted in the mapping elements section. Just download them, drop them into your gimp brush directory, and with some clever spacing setup, you can just paint in your forests in no time.

Blog Entries

hmmmm.. now I've heard about the brush pipe thing several times - maybe I should try looking at GIMP one day - especially since Adobe Photoshop has made NO progress in handling of non-transparent brushes in the last about 1000 versions
    regs tilt

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast