Thread: The real world is just so neat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

And they constitute the MICRONATION of SEALAND.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

NK beat me to it...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Almost looks like At-Ats.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Those are so cool - I wonder what they were used for... gun platforms?

Edit: Ahh, I see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunsell_Forts

Maunsell sea forts, built in the Thames estuary and operated by the Royal Navy, were to deter and report German air raids following the Thames as a landmark, and attempts to lay mines by aircraft in this important shipping channel.
    Maunsell also designed forts for anti-aircraft defence. These were larger installations comprising seven interconnected steel platforms, five carried guns arranged in a semicircle around the control centre and accommodation while the seventh, set further out than the gun towers, was the searchlight tower.
    Last edited by bjzaba; 07-10-2010 at 05:52 AM.

Oh man... If I ever wanted a home for a madman or vampire near the Thames, I just got it...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Blog Entries

Become a bona fide Lord or Lady - thirty five quid:
    http://www.sealandgov.org/Titles.html
    Probably one of the only ways to get one that cheap which might have some genuine legal clout.

Those would be awesome for a waterworld type RPG

The Micronation of Sealand is only the tower at Roughs off Harwich, which, lying outside of British Territorial Waters can be technically declared as independant - and has.
    Shivering Sands, as reported on the Wiki, lies further south at the Thames entrance. At various times it has been occupied by "pirate radio" stations and at one point, it's said, there was even a gun fight over possession there. As far as I know this all ended decades ago when the UK formally asserted that Shivering Sands and Red Sands etc were inside territorial waters and put a stop to all the malarky.
    I've sailed past the Sands and it's an awesome sight even at a distance. There's something surreal about its shape and isolation in what looks like deep sea.
    It's one of the things I really like about the UK. Just about everywhere you go there's some sort of historical wartime "something". Not an impressive "something" always but...
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)