Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caliburn

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Yeah, that heraldry looks fabolus. Doing forests by hand is almost as tedious as mountains. What I would suggest for you is to create a new layer and trace around the general forest shapes then hide the auto-forests (never delete - in case you mess up you can always come back). Then you can detail the new forests as much as you like.
    Thanks for the advice, Ascension. I'm definitely going to do that!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GygaxLives View Post
    I did use that automatic forester program... It was easier but seems to take away from the final result. I think I'll redo it by hand, it will take a lot of time but it seems like a thing worth doing.
    It will obviously look more "hand-done" if you do the forests by hand, but it does seem you haven't used the automatic forester to its full potential. What you have there is the stock positioning but there are quite a few setting to mess around with to get resultant forests more random looking, less clinically placed. For instance, give it both diagonal jitters set at about 3, and then maybe a very small xjitter. The trees are very packed in so I wouldn't recommend using yjitters as it will most likely cause areas of badly placed trees. You could also decrease the density on both axis so that you can use more jitter. Hmm.. maybe I should do a new quick tutorial in the forester thread to explain how to use it a little.

Anyway, whether you give the forester another try or do the forests by hand, I do agree with the others that they are the thing that stand out as being in need of change. Other than that I really like your map.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    It will obviously look more "hand-done" if you do the forests by hand, but it does seem you haven't used the automatic forester to its full potential. What you have there is the stock positioning but there are quite a few setting to mess around with to get resultant forests more random looking, less clinically placed. For instance, give it both diagonal jitters set at about 3, and then maybe a very small xjitter. The trees are very packed in so I wouldn't recommend using yjitters as it will most likely cause areas of badly placed trees. You could also decrease the density on both axis so that you can use more jitter. Hmm.. maybe I should do a new quick tutorial in the forester thread to explain how to use it a little.

Anyway, whether you give the forester another try or do the forests by hand, I do agree with the others that they are the thing that stand out as being in need of change. Other than that I really like your map.
    Wow... you weren't kidding. This looks much better!

Thanks again, Ramah!

What Ascension said about creating a new layer instead of deleting.....be forewarned though, if you are like me, you might spend hours flipping back and forth and running sliders up and down picking the exact settings and look you want.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's where all the fun is, though
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

great maps, I ditto the tree remarks and believe you'll be a lot more pleased with the maps after doing them over - have som rep
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Default RE:

So I redid the forests and some of the labeling. This may look like it took forever, but that was mostly real life getting in the way!

Overall I think these represent an improvement. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-Base.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	28085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-Political.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	28086   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-Ethnic.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	28087   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-Religion.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	28088  

Blog Entries

The positioning of the trees looks a lot better now. I hate those brushes though. Hehe. When I used them on Aronbor there was no overlapping of trees and I resized them a lot so it varied them somewhat. When used in a dense forest like that they look very cluttered. Ah well.

Forgetting my personal problem with the brushes, I'd still do something to your tree layer. They look very crisp and sharp whereas most other elements are softer. Personally I'd probably copy the layer, give it a decent sized blur and lower the opacity. Then blur the original layer just a little and lower the opacity on that too.
    Also, the mountains and hills have built in shadows in the brushes whereas your trees and building markers don't (well, they have shading but not shadows). Which stands out to me.
    Lastly, the shading on your building markers are in the opposite direction to the shading/shadows on the mountains, hills and trees. :S

Sorry if all this sounds over critical. I do really like your map but I think you could make it better by making small changes.

Btw, the newer version of TreeThing that I posted up a week or so ago has better Vaniya brushes and lets you vary the tree size in a generated forest. I'd recommend getting it if you plan on using it further.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks for the tips, Ramah!

I went and got the new version of the TreeThing... it's awesome! Thanks again!

It's been a while but I recently started working on the map again.

Here's my progress. I made a number of changes such as giving the trees a background fill, same with the mountains, changing the coastline, making the castles, towns and other markers stand out. I fixed the shading issue, so everything should be correct now.

What do you guys think, improvement?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG Caliburn Political.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	33456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG Caliburn Base.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	33457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG Caliburn Ethnic.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	33458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CG Caliburn Religion.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	33459  
    Last edited by GygaxLives; 02-12-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12