Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliburn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Caliburn

I finally finished this map for a setting that I am designing. I'm not at all artistically gifted so it took me forever. Also I wouldn't have been able to complete it without everything I learned here at the guild. Special thank you's going out to my cartography heroes. First to Pasis whose tutorial showed me I could make maps despite my aforementioned lack of artistic talent. Second to Ascension for showing me that maps can be more than just maps, they can be works of art. Finally to Ramah, not only for the use of him map elements, but for being my Yoda of Cartography. Vaniya still remains my favorite map of all time and the biggest influence on this map. Thanks guys!

Caliburn is an Arthurian Legend inspired setting. Its King Arthur equivalent has died and his once mighty united Kingdom is fractured into many smaller kingdoms. There are three version of the map. The first is a political map that shows the various kingdoms. The second is an Ethnic map that traces the ancestry of the population of Caliburn. The final is a religious map that shows the two conflicting faiths.

I'm still making minor tweaks here and there, but by and large the map is finished and I'm pretty happy with the end result. It may not be great compared with what some other people are capable of, but it is the best that I have managed to date!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaliburnG1.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	26843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New CaliburnFinal_Ethnic_Low Res.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	26844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New CaliburnFinal_Religion_Low Res.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	26845  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's pretty cool. Very "Englandy". I like the way you handled the text.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Very pretty, and the text/political divisions are very nice. I think if I were to change one thing, it would be the stark uniformity of the trees.
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Those coats of arms are epic and the multiple maps showing the different types of division is awesome. My only problem is that the big labels steal a little too much focus from the map. But other than that I say bravo!

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm with StillCypher, the trees are the only thing taking away from a fine piece.

Much to uniform in their placement. Reminds me of the 'Fill' brushes in the older version of Campaign Cartographer.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Beautiful. Agreed on the trees, they seem to sort of "tile".
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It looks like the automatic forester thingy was used. If it's a personal world map then it's fine by me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I did use that automatic forester program... It was easier but seems to take away from the final result. I think I'll redo it by hand, it will take a lot of time but it seems like a thing worth doing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GygaxLives View Post
    I did use that automatic forester program... It was easier but seems to take away from the final result. I think I'll redo it by hand, it will take a lot of time but it seems like a thing worth doing.
    It will obviously look more "hand-done" if you do the forests by hand, but it does seem you haven't used the automatic forester to its full potential. What you have there is the stock positioning but there are quite a few setting to mess around with to get resultant forests more random looking, less clinically placed. For instance, give it both diagonal jitters set at about 3, and then maybe a very small xjitter. The trees are very packed in so I wouldn't recommend using yjitters as it will most likely cause areas of badly placed trees. You could also decrease the density on both axis so that you can use more jitter. Hmm.. maybe I should do a new quick tutorial in the forester thread to explain how to use it a little.

Anyway, whether you give the forester another try or do the forests by hand, I do agree with the others that they are the thing that stand out as being in need of change. Other than that I really like your map.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    It will obviously look more "hand-done" if you do the forests by hand, but it does seem you haven't used the automatic forester to its full potential. What you have there is the stock positioning but there are quite a few setting to mess around with to get resultant forests more random looking, less clinically placed. For instance, give it both diagonal jitters set at about 3, and then maybe a very small xjitter. The trees are very packed in so I wouldn't recommend using yjitters as it will most likely cause areas of badly placed trees. You could also decrease the density on both axis so that you can use more jitter. Hmm.. maybe I should do a new quick tutorial in the forester thread to explain how to use it a little.

Anyway, whether you give the forester another try or do the forests by hand, I do agree with the others that they are the thing that stand out as being in need of change. Other than that I really like your map.
    Wow... you weren't kidding. This looks much better!

Thanks again, Ramah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast