Thread: How do I add a layer with cities and other icons?

Default How do I add a layer with cities and other icons?

I'm really new to PS7, and am in the process of making my first map. I'm ready to add city/town/tower icons and have made a new layer labeled as such, unfortunately they wont show up on the map. Is there a way to either brush or clone icons over the terrain of an overworld map? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleThistlefurr View Post
    I'm really new to PS7, and am in the process of making my first map. I'm ready to add city/town/tower icons and have made a new layer labeled as such, unfortunately they wont show up on the map.
    Is your new layer above the terrain layer(s) in the Layer Palette?

Is there a way to either brush or clone icons over the terrain of an overworld map? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Yes! You can create a brush with your icon (Menu > Edit > Define Brush Set). There's an excellent tutorial for creating brushes in Photoshop here: http://www.bittbox.com/photoshop/how...hotoshop-brush

You can also paste your icon into a new layer, then copy and drag it to wherever you want it positioned, then merge the layers. (COMMAND click on all appropriate layers, then go to Menu > Layer > Merge Layers)
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Things to check for: make sure the new layer is on top, make sure the layer's opacity is 100% (for now, you can change it later), make sure the layer has normal blend mode, make sure that the brush's opacity is 100% (for now, you can change it later), make sure that the brush's blend mode is normal, make sure that the brush doesn't have any other characteristics that you don't understand (like spacing, texture, dual brush, fade, color dynamics, scatter, etc). If you give us a screenshot of the whole screen (not just the map) with the troublesome layer active then we should be able to figure it out real quick. To make a screenshot just press the Print Screen button on your keyboard. This saves the image into memory, then just hit File - New and leave the settings alone, and then hit Edit - Paste and voila there's your screen. Now hit Layer - Flatten Image and save it as a jpg and upload it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps