Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestion on building a tiled wall effect.

Default Need suggestion on building a tiled wall effect.

I have been working on a tiled wall effect for a few days, and I just can't seem to get it right. Here is an example of the sort of effect done correctly. I have4 tired creating patterns and hand drawing the tiles. I have tried them as individual selections and stroking them, so the line depth is uniform. Nothing comes even close to an effect such as this. . I'm not necessarily looking to copy this effect wall effect. But it is nice, and I would like to be able to add this kinda flagstone look to my repertoire. Any suggestions on how to create something similar would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aquaduct (Untagged).jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	801.2 KB 
ID:	26851  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's hand-drawn and hand-colored with a tablet and there's only one way to do that. You may be able to draw it in pencil, ink it, then scan it to get similar results but the easiest way is to just get a tablet and practice with it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm trying to get it automated...it's beautiful. No success yet. I'm afraid Ascension's right. If you look at the way the stones join, it's got to be hand drawn. We can but try!

:: Edit:: This is the best I've managed to get so far using drawplus vector brushes.

Name:	walls.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	420.5 KB 
ID:	26854  

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Well, you could try to make a pattern, place it on the rooms and then on a mask delete the stones at the edges. It will still not be the same along the edges of the rooms, though.

Blog Entries

Although not quite the same, Torstans tile set can be used in a similar way. This is my map done like that:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...9&d=1254266523

Best I could do by way of automation was this in photoshop using a voronoi fill pattern. As Sapiento says, it doesn't give you the same effect of the stone being dressed for the walls of the room though. On the plus side it only takes about 5 mins to do, so if you have a big dungeon it's a real time-saver. Happy to put up a tutorial if anyone is interested.

Name:	dungeonwall.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	26873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dw1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	155.5 KB 
ID:	26874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dw2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	26893  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yes that is a beautiful look and you can only get that far by doing it by hand. However I think Ravs have gotten rather far with his experimenting
    Ravs, have you handcut the outer borders?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast