Thread: ...make a very large tree

Help ...make a very large tree

Hello, Cartographers! I'm a long-time lurker with a question for which I desperately need help! I've been blown away by the things I see on this site, so I'm sure there are good ideas to be had and shared.

Some of you familiar with Planescape or earlier editions of D&D may know about how Yggdrasil has existed in that game. Basically, it's a mythic tree so huge that it crosses into other planes. By climbing it and walking its branches, you can uncover portals into other locations in the multiverse.

Are there any mapping resources (textures, etc) or techniques that you could recommend to render things like tree branches so huge that small villages are nestled into them and groves of more mundane vegetation can spring up on them? I want to generate battle maps for MapTool encounters set among its boughs.

Ah. Maybe this should have been in the "How Do I?" sub-forum...
    Last edited by Academician; 07-11-2010 at 03:36 PM.

I would start by going out and getting my eyeball as close as possible to a tree and get a real feel for what it looks like that close up, the texture and so on because that's going to be your background for the village. If you have a digital camera you might be able to take a zoomed in shot that would work.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt