Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rhumb line placement

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Haven't been talking, but I have been listening to (and fascinated by) this whole discussion. For any GIMP users, I've spent the morning creating a rhumb diagram according to the rules above -- all of the lines are paths, so you can scale the image, crop it to your map, and then stroke all of the lines however you see fit. Here it is ...

//Edit: Added a .psd version to the zip.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gidde; 07-17-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Is there any chance that anyone's working on a Photoshop version of one of these things? I've been trying but I'm about ready to tear my hair out.

Ask and ye shall receive Actually, I'm an idiot for not including a .psd version in the first place, since gimp will save to psd as easily as xcf. So I did so and added it to the zip in the previous post.

Heh, thanks Gidde. Ironically, after I complained I went back to it and made my own anyway. However, that does raise another question . . . how did you get the file size so small on a .psd? Even in grayscale, with smaller pixel dimensions than yours, mine is like 25 megs versus 6 megs for yours. I've checked Image Size and I'm at a loss to figure out what the difference is, except that the headers on your doc say "Gray/8#" whereas mine just say "Gray/8". Is that a clue?

I'm not sure, honestly. It's probably because I made it in gimp compared to one created in PS. That's my best guess, anyhow.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

There are a number of factors that affect psd filesize when saving from photoshop. One is "save for compatibility" which is actually quite useless, since the "compatibility" is for one particular outdated format/program from what I remember, and not really necessary at all. Another thing that can impact filesize is the "save with preview", as that will composite the layers into a single layer for image previews and icon thumbnails.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Hmm, could be either of those. Unfortunately, "Save As" doesn't seem to give me an option to turn those features off so it's hard to say.

Getting back to maps, I slapped together a try-out inspired that Portuguese chart with tri-color rhumb lines:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	murder-island-portolan.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	598.3 KB 
ID:	27180  

You can change that behavior in the Preferences: Edit > Prefereneces… > File Handling
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks, midgardsormr, I'll play with that and see what I can do.

In the meantime, and I can't believe I didn't think of this before, I saved my tricolor grid as a .GIF with transparency, which hopefully will be of use to somebody:

Name:	portolan-grid-tricolor.gif 
Views:	352 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	27201  

Blog Entries

How about a png. I also just found out that I cannot upload svg. Seems odd.

Wow! That is huge.

Name:	rhumb-lines.png 
Views:	3131 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	27215  
    Last edited by hohum; 07-19-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast