Thread: Ereshka world map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Ereshka world map

(Two things: I think this is the right subforum for this, but if it's not, can someone please let me know? And for anyone who actually manages to wade through all this, thanks [especially if you comment ]. I'm kind of long-winded, not to mention stumbling through this process in what's probably a particularly roundabout fashion.)

Hi all.

I posted a couple of days ago with a map for my husband's D&D campaign, and the fact that he proceeded to hand me a world sketch (read: notepad with two large blobs filled with smaller blobs :p) and ask for a world map. I figured I'd post my progress as I went through, since this is my third computer-based map, and fourth map ever (and it might be a smiiiiidge ambitious... if this works out right, I plan to go from world to continents to kingdoms to the campaign-relevant cities to the campaign-relevant buildings. Yes, I'm one of those sorts. ), I thought I'd post the process in the hopes of getting feedback. I'm bound to go wrong quite a lot, knowing me.

I'm thinking the original kingdom map will turn out a little differently at the end of it, working my way down like this.

Any comments will be super appreciated-- I barely know what I'm doing. All I can say is I <3 all of the awesome tutorials on this forum .

So, to begin with, I have two sketches and some vague directions (followed by verbal directions later-- granted, most of the time his answer to any question was "I don't know, you figure it out." :p Which means I have to name everything too, blah.)

(the original sketches were on lined paper, but since I have no scanner and had to photograph them with my phone to get the pics, I colored over them in GIMP. Orange is his original layout, blue is my sketching more continent-like concepts onto it.)

Directions

World is slightly smaller than earth, one moon.

Upper polar ice cap: 3 port cities; no towns or villages; all are trade/supply cities; overland travel is hard but happens along coasts. (And later, verbally, that he wants a greenland type place; I'm thinking that if there's true ice poles at all, they aren't large)

southern polar ice cap: unexplored (apparently there's an Odd Place down there; sort of a combo bermuda triangle/shangrila down there.)

C5: wasteland. 1 large city in the north; ivory, bone, desert crops, spices; southern half of continent dragon graveyard. elves, gnomes, humans. (the wasteland aspect is due to an ancient war between the elves and the dragons, hence the graveyard.)

C4: Jungle; 4 large cities (ports); dense forest; mostly unexplored.

C3: varies. many settlements, largest cont. mostly human 80%, dwarf 15%, other 5% (one result of the continent-5 war is that the majority of the world population is human; either we breed faster or we just weren't involved, I dunno.)

C2: lush forest and plains; mostly human 95% other 5%.

C1: varies. mostly human 95%. starting cont.

So... I have to figure out how to get the climates right. He may not end up with exactly what he wanted, but then, them's the chances you take when handing off a project to a woman known to be incredibly obsessive, geeky, and detail-oriented. Muhahahahahahhackhackcough.

My first step is getting the continents laid out correctly. I'm using Google Earth to get everything lined up. When that pic is done I'll post it up.
    Last edited by absinthesparrow; 07-11-2010 at 04:48 AM.