Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwarven City (WIP)

Default Dwarven City (WIP)

I haven't posted anything for a while so I thought I would post some pictures of a Dwarven city I'm doing for one of the guildies.

"The city is built onto an island inside a long dormant volcano in the north where years of rain and snow have collected inside to make the island.
    The dwarves have divided the island into city and grazing grounds, though the grazing is pretty scarce.
    The safest way in is through the Outside keep, really no more than just a protected gateway to the 1st stop to the city: Traders Town.

Traders Town is the only place outsiders are allowed. With three large air and light vents in the ceiling the still claustrophobic area is home to many shops and merchants. It is also the origin point of the dwarven highway (see other maps in progress).

Once past Trader Town and across the mighty stone bridge you enter the upper city. Looming above it is the High Keep. And above that an opening to the blue skies above. Below are two more tiers of the city a smaller religious area that bridges to the main temple itself.

Below everything is the Dark Keep a place of secrets even to most of the inhabitants of the city.

And on the farthest slopes of the grazing side is the entrance to the underdark."

I'm creating the overhead and side views at the same time due to the complexity of the overlapping structure. It still needs a lot of work and a lot of detail added. Eventually the tiers will shown in cross sections showing the tunnels that lead to other parts of the city and into the inner keep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwarfcity2.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	26895   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwarfcity1.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	26897  
    Last edited by DevinNight; 07-11-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Here is the early work in Illustrator.
    With a vector program I should be able to work larger and add more details, at least initially.

Name:	Screen shot 2010-06-07 at 9.01.46 AM.png 
Views:	945 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	26899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2010-07-11 at 12.07.39 PM.png 
Views:	531 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	26900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2010-07-11 at 12.08.05 PM.png 
Views:	8281 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	26901  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I prefer the hand-drawn version and I think that it's totally killer.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I prefer the hand-drawn version and I think that it's totally killer.
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing and what a shame you weren't sticking with that. Looks like a really cool concept.
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

This is very cool map - I really like the idea of the city looking like sunken in the volcano. The concept seems very real - I mean I think the dwarves (as I know them) could really create the city like this.
    And in contrary to the others I like the "computerized" versions of a map. Keep going - I would love to see more detailed versions of the map (should You plan to make such).

I prefer the Illustrator version so far. It does look very promising and can't wait to see what you will turn this map into.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

This is awesome, thank you so much for showing us the process you are using on this project. Lately, I have found myself looking up artists who show how they go about creating their work and where applicable to my style try it out myself. Repping you already if I can and I hope to see more of this really cool endeavor as you progress.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wow, AWESOME map! I really love this. Please keep us updated!

Praise

I have always wondered how an underground city would look like, but now I know. The map looks great! I can't wait to see the details.
    Induite vos armaturam Dei
    Ephesians 6:11

Ok, I'm adding in the buildings, and the tunnels cut into the stone under the keep.
    I will probably figure out some sewer lines and add them in as well.

Once this is all figured out I might go back and make it all hand drawn.. just to please you hand drawn map lovers... and because to some degree a map this clean just doesn't seem right.

Name:	Screen shot 2010-07-24 at 12.12.13 AM.png 
Views:	374 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	27392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2010-07-24 at 12.12.21 AM.png 
Views:	299 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	27393   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2010-07-24 at 12.12.00 AM.png 
Views:	365 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	27394  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast