Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on a Font Manager

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    I have a Word doc somewhere that has a macro to generate pages of all your fonts. I'll have to see if I can scare that up again. Assuming anyone is interested of course. I'm not sure what folks want in the way of font management though.
    Check out the author of that word doc... I wrote one about 6 years ago that escaped into the wild If you can't find yours I can dig my old one up. (The one benefit of ever-increasing hard drives is I never have to erase anything )
    -Rob A>

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ilwan's Avatar

I use Linotype FontExplorer. Works fine

Well, I'm going to give the AMP manager a try, but I appreciate all the suggestions (and hopefully others do too) - don't be afraid to keep 'em coming!.

In answer to RobA, I'm looking for something to do a bit more than print pages of my fonts. I have a LOT of fonts (for carto, minimal graphic design stuff, a tiny bit of web stuff for friends, etc) - I'd love to be able to group them into families that I can turn on and off when I need to, so that I know that all of my Romanesque fonts are in Family A and all of my Grungy fonts are in Family B, etc, etc...

PD

I understand the importance of a font manager. If you have more than a few dozen fonts they are indispensable.

I do, however, really like hard-copies of fonts to flip through. I think it goes back to when I was little and my father brought home a 300+ page Letraset dry-transfer font catalogue. I think I spend days flipping though it and tracing out different fonts...

-Rob A>

I'll second the AMP viewer. A coworker pointed me to it recently and i've found it pretty usable (better than previewing in PS, Word, etc.). I also sometimes use this online viewer as I can use it anywhere. It sometimes bungs up on certain font types, but is generally pretty good.

Yeah... I could use a font manager for my Mac cause I've got TONNES of fonts and my library is growing all the time because I do some small graphic design work on the side.

Right now I've got my own binder full of my fonts that I printed out and categorized by hand. I just put the whole alphabet of each font on its own page and labeled it with the font name. It works pretty well for me so far... but flipping through that book is starting to take a while every time I wanna look for a new font.

I agree with most others that having a prefered list of about 3 or 4 "map fonts" is time saving and headache free.
    Joshua
    Graphic Designer
    & Amateur Photoshop Cartographer

I went with AMP too - just what I needed and yeah, you can't beat the price
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

A little late but let me throw in another good word for AMP FontViewer. I've been using it for years now and I've never felt a need to look for another.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Well -

I downloaded AMP, and also downloaded The Font Thing (That I referenced before) - both free.

I think I will use The Font Things because of a few things that it can do that I cant get AMP to do:
    • Provide a view of ALL the glyphs in a font.
    • Filter by embedded font information (symbol, script, monospace).
    • Preview multiple fonts that are NOT installed.
    • Print Sample sheets of NOT installed fonts.

And it seems to do everything else that AMP does do.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Well -

I downloaded AMP, and also downloaded The Font Thing (That I referenced before) - both free.

I think I will use The Font Things because of a few things that it can do that I cant get AMP to do:
    • Provide a view of ALL the glyphs in a font.
    OOOOOo........going to have to take a look at that tomorrow.
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast