Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fractal Mapper

Question Fractal Mapper

So, I've noticed a lot of posts on Campaign Cartographer. I've seen a few posts about programs I've never heard of before. I personally have been using Fractal Mapper for a few years now. I started with version 7 and have recently upgraded to version 8. I'm not professional by any definition of the word, but I like to make my own maps for my games, and I like them to look nice.

Am I using the wrong program? I've looked at CC2, and can't get my head wrapped around it. I've got Photoshop, but it seems like the wrong program to be using for maps (Not to mention the fact that it is really complicated, and I'm not really a graphic designer).

Anybody here give just generic pointers. I like a lot of the maps I've seen on this site, and would love to be able to contribute the stuff I make for my game. Right now I feel that they are wholly inadequate.

Thanks in advanced

First Welcome to the group.

As to fractal mapper, never used it, but I have looked at the screen shots of Frcatal Mapper and other than how it is laid out, it looks pretty much identical to Campaign Cartographer.

Love to give you pointers, but having never used that program I would not be 100% sure how to give pointers in using that program. Sorry.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome Xenmas! Glad to have you here. Please take a look around especially in the WIP and Tutorial forums. Lots of really great stuff there to help you out.

To answer your questions -
    There is no such thing as a "wrong program". Some are better than others at different things, but ultimately it really depends on you. Both your skill level and what you are trying to achieve.
    CC2/3 is really not as hard as a lot of folks think. You just have to read the manual and definitely do the various tutorials that are out there. It is a CAD program so things may seem a little bass ackwards, but once you get into it you'll find it is a piece of cake. CC3 has really improved a lot in that area as ProFantasy has striven to make the program more user friendly.
    As for pointers, I would suggest you start by looking around at what others have done and even look at the tutorials even though they aren't for FM. You can then go back to FM and look at how it achieves the same sort of things you are seeing here, and as always I would encourage you to use the programs Help and you can post questions here for those that may be familiar with FM.

Again welcome, and enjoy your stay.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

And with a few years of FM experience, hopefully you can provide some examples and help for others just starting out!

(And Hi!)

-Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 10-25-2007 at 02:56 PM.

I just bought Fractal Mapper v8.0 yesterday. While I've only just finished reading the tutorials/documentation and did a couple practice maps, I have to say I'm impressed with the power and flexibility it provides. I'm a long time gamer but relative cartography rookie, so I don't have much to compare it to, fwiw. Years ago I had the first CC from ProFantasy but never could learn it well enough to use it.

It would be cool to see some of your maps. I'm here to absorb some knowledge and improve my map making ability. Once I get a chance to play with it more I'll even try to post some of my own.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm pretty comfortable with Fractal Mapper, and am happy to give any help I can to users who have picked up a copy. My GoblinAPI is so-so, but I do get around in it.

I'm browsing the site and like what I see. I'm working on a temple right now in FM8. I'll post it in the WIP section as soon as I get the basic floorplan done (I'm on the third teir of about 12).

[edit] Be happy to help Beowolf. I'm working on a map right now, and would be happy to send it to you when I'm done. It's nothing special at this point, but it is going to have GM notes and will be set up in layers that can be turned off as you work down the levels.
    Last edited by Xenmas; 10-25-2007 at 03:12 PM.

That sounds really cool Xenmas! Check out some of the discussions we've had lately on VTTs. Stuff like you are creating would be awesome for online gaming.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd like to also welcome you aboard! I've been hoping some FM folks would chime in...especially since NBOS actually advertises here.

I'm gonna give you some rep since your needed here
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Aww... you should at least make him post a map first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast